Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the bike not too long ago, and I am ready to test on it. problem there, is that the horn wasn't working, and the bike is not considered street legal, and as such, cannot be used to take the riding test.

So..i finally decided today its time to tear it down. it realyl wasn't TOO bad, other than getting all the plastic to line up at the end. oh yea, big PITA there! i'd say it took me 2 hours to do the repair. an hour alone was spent on lining up the stupid platic.

here's a pic midpoint of the repair.

the problem was, that the ground wire coming from the "fuse box" to the bolt on the frame was melted! fuse was blown too! i don't fully understand why it melted, being the stock wire, it should handle the current?! anyhow i untaped the entire harness, replaced the wire, and taped it all back up! looks darn clean, and better than when i started!

all this, without a service manual, or diagrams. may not have had to tear thru the entire harness if i had the schematics, but..eh...no biggie.

i really should have done the plugs while i was there, but i was losing daylight.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
The fuses you got in the box. What number was on them ?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol my first thought too.

10 amps. that is what the rating is shown as on the box. I thought for sure there would have been some crazy fuse in there, but it was just a blown 10 amp. only thing i can think is that maybe water got into the horn, created a short, and thats what happened. but thats still far fetched. i know fuses don't blow the very instant they get to the rated amperage, but its always within so many microseconds, and it would take longer than that to melt those wires..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts