Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've owned Ducati, Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki...but never a Kawasaki. My wifes birthday is March 31st so I decided to get her a bike, problem was my budget with this whole quarantine I've lost a lot of client work.

That's when I saw an $800 listing for an '08 ex500 that did not start (no spark), had ugly spray painted fairings and the ignition was drilled out because it was thefted for a few days and returned with some asphalt stripes and other damage.She's been sitting in the rain, beaten by the sun and really needed a new home.

What does a man do when he sees that? He offers $400 to pickup that project and give it a new home. Now she starts and kinda runs, has a very amateur paint job that looks better in photos than in person but most importantly a new lease on life. Great learner bike for sure for the misses!

JDV00018.jpg JDV00020.jpg JDV00022.jpg

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I think you did great, getting the bike for $400. The paint, if you really want to, can be polished out and made to look good close up too. Just depends on the effort you wanna put forth. I mean, if you got nothing going on due to this Corona thing.

Wet sand with some high grit count paper, like 1000 or 1200. Get the whole thing where it looks like satin and then polish it out. Use some No 7 first, then some fine cut and it'll shine like you got it done by a pro.
This:

Then this:

Great job so far, BTW and welcome to EX-500.com.........sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts