Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a lot of people, I wanted a Yamaha R6, but after watching dozens of quarter mile videos of all kind of bikes I figured supersports are batshit crazy fast lol. Mostly everybody recommended a Ninja 250 to start and learn, but i didn't like the 100mph top speed and slow 1/4 mile time of 15seconds. I race my Scion FRS at the track every other month, there is no way I was getting a little 250 that couldn't even beat a slow ass scion. I understand racing technique & concepts like Rev match down shifting, trail braking, vehicle weight shift, suspension set up etc and eventually will track my 500.
I found a dropped 2006 EX500R Ninja with 8,000 miles listed at $2,500. The handlebar was bent and throttle was sticky, but fairings all intact. At the end, I got him down to $1,650. I replaced the handlebar from kawasakiparts.com myself for just $65 and throttle works like new. Within 1 week, I did extensive maintenance... engine oil, brake pads, brake fluid, coolant, air filter, sparkplugs, tires and ninja 650 mirrors.
I mainly ride it like a racebike and it handles extremely well. The power is perfect for a beginner bike and gas mileage is impeccable (50‐55mpg) although I have run out of fuel twice due to my own fault lol (but no worries just switched to reserve and was at the gas station).
At first 8k+ rpm felt like the bikes going to slip from under me but now it's just like, "okay I'm ready for the power". It's light and nimble ready to be thrown into the corner. Zero storage sucks, and headlight hi-beam visibility is decent lo-beam not so great.
It's been 1 months and 1,000 miles of riding and I'm loving every minute of it. So far been riding up and down PCH, I usually end up near Santa Monica and just go to Malibu for the hell of it. I topped the bike out at 125mph on the highway, it was stable but only when I scooted back and fully tucked.
I dont plan on selling but i have been contemplating listing the bike for $3,500 and keep riding but if someone takes it, they take it. And I buy a fuel injected newer bike like an MT-09 or older FZ-09.
I love this Ninja 500 amazing motorcycle. Hit me up if your in the LA area, let's ride down PCH!

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nice find, nice price. :)

You need to get on Google Maps. You live in the South Bay and have easy access to hundreds of amazing twisty roads. PCH is dull dull dull compared to what's in the immediate vicinity!

Reactions: Hamzah812

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a dedicated EX race bike years ago, I want to say it was a 93, first year with the 17 inch front wheel. I did well with it and sold it for, I want to say 3000 dollars. The doode who bought it, ran the same Dunlop race compounds tyres that were on it for a year after he bought it from me. My current street bike is a good running EX, it tops out at 125 too! I try to ride around 85-90 MPH on the highway and generally short shift the bike at half its red line, which is'nt really short shifting when you compare it to the way my wife drives my stick shift car! Peace and happy riding.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
No storage, you say? Well, with $20 and a little creativity, you can...

Reactions: Hamzah812

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Love that colour scheme.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts