Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first incident this week. I've been riding almost 3 months and trying to stay cautious. I know from MSF class that the first 5 mons are most dangerous. But I slipped up and fell for that target fixation thing. I was going through a real tight S curve (that I've ridden at least 10 times before). I completed the first half and as I started into the second a HUGE yellow school bus came whipping around the curve from the other side. He stayed in his lane just fine, but it surprised me and my eyes locked on it for a second, and I froze. It's a sharp curve and that is all it took, I knew I wasn't going to make my curve and was running out of road. As soon as my tires hit the grass I was sliding. First the back end started to come around, then I was fishtailing. First I thought a high side, then it looked like low side. I remember thinking that at least I picked a nice soft spot to do this(ground was soft and a nice wall of little saplings was coming at me). It was like riding a 400 pound mountain bike. I knew I was toast and going down. It was that feeling like when you were a kid and learning to roller skate(sorry I'm old) and you starting going down a hill and realize you are not in control and heading for a bad ending and you can't do anything about it. Somehow I stopped sliding before I hit the trees. I remember the handlebars jerking back and forth (head shake is it called?) but at least I was headed in a better direction. Some how I never went down and I was now rolling and heading back toward the road. I still don't understand how I didn't go down. Divine intervention is right Soar! God was watching over me for sure! When I got back to the road I was unscathed but much richer in experience (of what not to do). First thing I did was turn around and go back through that curve the right way in both directions so I didn't leave it on a bad note. It was a kick in the pants I really needed. Just getting 'seat time' is not enough. I need to actively be practicing the things I learned in the MSF class (and I just got the Sport Riding book), and using my vision properly is at the top of the list. I'm learning and learning takes work sometimes(and I'm just lazy). The next time may not end so favorably, so I need to see it doesn't happen again.

It's funny, I've played it over in my mind a hundred times and I have no memory of any control action(brakes, gas, turning) that I did once I hit the grass. It all has to be instinctive reaction and I've got to learn and instill the right things to be there(I was just blessed this time). Even more, the right things to do so I never hit the grass to start with. Over 25 years I've done that in the car(and Autocross), now I've got to do it on the bike.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Well written! Glad this lesson wasn't expensive...

well, except for using up a 4 week supply of adrenalin in 15 seconds.

R

·
0 Posts
Sweet, a crash post that doesn't end with "and now I need to repair my plastics."

Good write up!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Oooh close one! My wife takes a turn wide from time to time and now that I read your post I realize it's where there is oncoming traffic. (Unless she's trying to follow me when I'm honking along too fast.) So more than doing a needlessly extreme move to avoid the car she's probably staring at it.

Thank you for so clearly sharing your observations because it really made a light go on for me.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
A case of 'you're going where you look'

Good work on the save, your reactions during that episode were probably just right.

Happy that all you got out of this is more experience. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
nice job!
Even though you were panicked, your arms and legs probably kept loose enough to let bike do what it wanted to do , which is stay upright.
And good for you for going back and taking the corner again.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Great job at avoiding a wipe out. I have been riding ~ 1 1/2 years now and had my first near miss today. Tooling down a 2 lane 35 mph road with apartment complex entry on my left. A young driver is coming out of the apartment complex, so I'm watching him very closely to make sure he sees me...he doesn't. Thanks goodness I was watching him because it would have been a collision for sure...he pulled right out, apparently not seeing me. By the way, I wear high visibility light green stripes over my riding gear, including wrist and arm bands plus a diagonal sash across my chest and back. A classic example of drivers not seeing motorcycles. At any rate I was able to safely brake and bring it to a stop before a collision...the young man did see me at the last instant and braked, but had I not brought the motorcycle to a quick halt it would not have been pretty. ninjamon

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Couple of weeks ago, a darkish Tuesday... 7:05 AM, very light traffic. Heading south on a newer 4 lane road w/ grassy median & curbs. There's a red traffic light facing me 200 yards ahead, doing maybe 45 mph.

The intersection has a road from an upscale housing area (& golf club) entering from the right.
No traffic coming from that road & I can see the light facing that road turn to yellow. Yay, won't have to stop or even slow down... My light turns green. After 1 second a big SUV runs the red rounding the corner fast to turn North.

Had I sped up or otherwise been at the intersection 2 seconds sooner... sheesh.

That side road had one of those big concrete planter and neighborhood markers too, so folks coming up to the intersection do not get a clear view left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts