Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went and got the stuff necessary to check and adjust the valves.

Coolant 50/50 premix with rust inhibitors for Aluminum engines and Radiators $8.99
Feeler Gauges (couldn't find the bent ones so I'll bend them myself) $2.99
Metric Wrenches (only had SAE at the house :() $14.99
Illustrated Valve Clearance Adjustment Guide by Tony Reyes and Oberlinja FREE[/color]

Total $35 and some change.

Not having to pay the dealer $200.00 to check valve clearance and bolt tightness PRICELESS.....

I just had to throw that in there...LOL. I'll let you guys know if it goes smoothly or not. However, is there anything else I need to know?

Like torque values when I put the covers back on?
Loctite on any specific bolts? I haven't received my Clymer manual yet?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I check my valve clearances every 5000-6000 miles.

No loctite and no torque wrench necessary. I just use common sense when tightening fasteners, 8mm head: sorta tight, 10mm head: kinda tight, 12mm head: tight, etc. So far (22K miles) nothing has fallen off or broke!

BTW don't crank down too much on the valve cover bolts, they just need to "land" and then be snugged from there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tore it down and put it all back together yesterday. All of the valves were within specs so I didn't have to do anything to it. Put it all back together it was ok job took me a little longer than I expected because I was taking my time.

One bad thing I found was that one of the front tank mount bolts was was sheared off down inside the frame. But I was still able to get it off by loosening the remaining bolt. I may eventually drill the bolt and and replace it with a nut and bolt.

Other than that basically it was a non-event
;)

Z

·
0 Posts
Shopshirt Mofo said:
Other than that basically it was a non-event ;)
But your eventless work saved you big bucks compared to taking it to the shop. Congrats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts