Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured I sort of need "my own space" to fill with such and such garbage. So I'm making a new thread and any questions related to the exhaust install procedure can be kept collectively here.

As I noted in another thread, as of this afternoon, I have two problems with the exhaust thus far.

FIRST...There was lots of popping upon deceleration. I'm assuming it was caused by an excess of air in the mixture, and so spikezx5r (on this site) recommended I get rid of the emissions assembly under the tank, plug the hole to the airbox, and route a tube from one cylinder head into the next. That, he said, should eliminate the most of the popping. I followed his instructions tonight, but I'll fire her up tomorrow and see what's up.

SECOND problem...there's a flat spot between the 2-4k rpm range. I replaced the jets with the Factory Pro 132s (over the stock 130s) and used the Factory Pro Jet Kit needles. I also turned the pilot screws 2.25 turns, which I'm starting to believe is the source of my flat spot. I will rotate the pilots to 2.5 tomorrow and I'll just play it by ear from there.

Now onto a problem not really related to mechanics. The actual canister is at an unfavorable angle. I was wondering if any other Muzzy owners could share whether they have this same "problem." The can sticks way beyond the stock cans, and it even goes beyond my extended frame sliders. Pictures below:

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Loosen the clamps, rotate the mid pipe and can to find the suitable position. The bracket clamp may be in the wrong position on the frame bracket. It may belong inside. Looks like it bends though so you may make it fit where it is. ;)

Get on your knees and PRAY that FOG doesn't see this. :eek: ;D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Popping is normal, just air and unburned fuel reigniting in the exhaust normal, happens in the stock cans you just don't hear it.

Most people have said they experience a flat spot after rejetting, thats why so many advise against it. But you did say its only in the 2-4k range and I don't know about your bike but mine rarely sees that range unless Im at like 20 mph.

as for the angle, idk looks okay to me, try to dump it on the left side to save that carbon can. :p

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
It's going to be too rich at the top and won't wind up strong. It will wind up, just not strong. The stock jets will be fine. Read the threads on that. It's OLD news.

The backfire can also be from a leaky exhaust at the head joint.

S

·
0 Posts
Popping is normal with the emissions junk still on the bike. Once removed if it is properly tuned it will not pop on deceleration. I know this because I have no popping at all with my D&D exhaust. It pulls strong through the entire band with a slight adjustment to the mixture screw and yes a small increase in main jet was also needed. Stock needle will work but increasing it by a little is better.

As of late I changed from no airbox to pods the popping came back as well as under par performance. I richened both up by a small amount again and the popping is gone with strong pull and no flat spots.

Carbs suck, it is a fact of life. A simple fix in the words of FOG is not to buy those loud fart cans... ;D

·
Registered
199 Posts
I did the same thing to my Muzzy - Are you sure the bracket is BEHIND the clamp ?

Make sure its bolted to the BACK of the peg bracket unlike my retarded self exhibited here: http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,592.0.html

I went up the jet size to 132 from the stock 130, and put in new needles on the 3rd setting and I think it's fairly balanced, its torquey as **** and the bike got a lot more power.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I moved the exhaust last night and attached it behind the bracket. It's a bit better now.

I tested the bike today after following spike's advice on removing the emissions junk under the tank, and now there's no more popping. ;D

I played with the pilot screws once more and got them to 2.5 turns, now the flat spot is between 1.5 - 2.5k rpms, much less of a nuisance, but I'll try 2.75 turns and see how that goes.
I actually boogered up both of the screws (they cracked when I was tightening them). So I ordered new ones and I'll have them in probably some time next week.

Yeah I put an E clip on the 1st spot from the top of the needle and on the 3rd as well. Did put the 132 jets in. I'm just hoping my flat spot will disappear once I rotate the idle-mixture screws to 2.75. I can live with it as it is now, but ideally I'd like everything to be smooth.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Leave the screws where they are and put the stock jets and needles back in. put a 1" hole in the rear face of the left side airbox cover.

FOG

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^ I'll try 2.75 turns first and see if that makes things settle.

Took her for a spin and everything seems great, except that **** flat spot. It's actually still between 2 - 4k rpm. Very annoying. Since I farked up the pilot screws, I'm gonna wait 'til next week when I can put the new ones in then try 2.75 turns.

Pictures ;D
(click to enlarge)

And yes, I did give her a well overdue wash.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eh what the ****, here's one more.

clicky click..

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I hope the glue you'll use will be heatproof, it gets pretty warm in there ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, 2.75 turns (or close enough). The screws are real torn up, so I tried to get 2.75 as best I could.

No more obnoxious flat spot. Only a small hiccup between 2.5-3k rpm. Nothing that'll have me poking through the carbs numerous more times to smooth things out.

So. I'm kinda happy now.

·
Registered
326 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
Ok, 2.75 turns (or close enough). The screws are real torn up, so I tried to get 2.75 as best I could.

No more obnoxious flat spot. Only a small hiccup between 2.5-3k rpm. Nothing that'll have me poking through the carbs numerous more times to smooth things out.

So. I'm kinda happy now.
i can't wait til i get mine squared away.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Something to report!

My bike was running choppy in the low rpm range after installing Factory Pro needles and main jets. People took the opportunity to trash the $70 I had spent on the jet kit and claimed the good ole 2.5 turns would cure all my problems. So I got bored today and replaced the stock needles, the stock jets, installed my new Pilot screws and adjusted them to 2.5 turns.

I go to start the bike and it eventually gets up to idle (1.5k rpm). Then when I blip the throttle, the tach needle hits 2k and steadily drops back down to zero, and the bike dies. I start it again, and it takes quite a bit before it'll start back up. I give it some choke, and the engine starts to cough, I let off the choke. I twist the throttle to WOT, the tach needle jumps to 2k rpm, then back to zero with the bike dead silent, yet again.

Any thoughts? Looks like my ONLY option is to go back to the jet kit settings.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts