Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve had dirt bikes most of my life up until 5 years ago. Never had a motorcycle or street bike. A buddy of mine had this in a trailer of his. I’ve known the guy for a couple years now and never heard of it till a week ago. Long story short, it belongs to me now. I made him a instant offer, $150. He took it. No keys. Which wasn’t to big of a deal to me. It was laid down in the left side somewhat hard. Has damage on the handlebars, clutch lever and controls. The front clip is busted, pieces missing. The right side has some dings but I think those are just front tip overs by careless people moving it around over the years. It clearly hasn’t seen the road in atleast 4 years. But after getting it home and looking closer at everything, I can tell that when it was moving down the road, the person riding took good care of. There’s basically no modifications, and all the wiring looks factory. It has aftermarket exhaust. So I mean 150 wasn’t a bad deal even without a key and body damage. Oh and the front tire is weather cracked but my plans make that a nonissue. I got the seat off. Realized someone had taken the battery out. But given the story I heard about the bike that made sense. Anyhow, I pushed out the bottom of the ignition, rigged it up just hardwiring it (using the resistor in the circuit from the ignition from grey igniter wire to power). And I got POWER!!! My heart started going at soon as that green neutral light lit up. I pulled the gas tank, I knew already that the gas would be bad. I pulled the left spark plug to check ignition spark. Good there. Put it back in, got some starter fluid, and she fired!!! Of course I did it a bunch to hear the motor and see if I had and bad noises. And I just was satisfied by hearing those rpms. Sounded good! I have a list of first round upgrades and replacements. I need to get In touch with ducatiman. I need those carbs cleaned and rebuilt. I was hoping for some suggestions on if I should go for factory jets and settings or make modifications. I want it to be zippy and have quick reaction in low gears. But still have speed in the top. Hopefully I can accomplish some of that just in carb mods. Maybe? That’s where I’m starting. I’ll get to the next step after that. Change/flush all fluids, filters, spark plugs, new battery, gastank?? I have figured out what I’ll do without a key to open that tank. I’ll post more when I get further along. I’ve already used this forum so much just In few days I’ve had this thing. I’ll need help and suggestions a lot I’m sure haha it’s a new world to me. Don’t know squat about dual carbs, dog bones, suspension setups, basically everything haha. Thanks for looking . Oh and if you got anything for suggestions or tips or just helpful information , just let me know.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
1st off, welcome to the forum. Sending carbs neglected for that long to ducatiman is a wise decision. (I’m a satisfied customer)

2nd, do not, under any circumstance use starting fluid to run the engine. If you wanna know it will fire off, a quick fog of starter fluid once is fine.

Running it on ether like that? Engine damage, sometimes catastrophic damage can result. Starter fluid strips the lubrication from the cylinder walls. Scored cylinder walls can be the result.

That stuff is best left for use starting Diesel engines.....and then, only when necessary.

3rd jetting is a touchy subject around here. Forum knowledge collectively has found stock jetting to be the way to go.

I’m not saying others haven’t installed a jet kit but no one has turned up with any kind of tuning evidence that the jet kit they installed made more power. No dyno results or anything, just seat of the pants feel.

Besides, if you send your carbs off to ducatiman, they’re in good hands with him and you’ll find that after the FOG mod on the airbox no further mods to the induction side of things is required.

Once again, welcome to EX-500 dot com.......sean

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you can figure out what the key code is, a little luck and a good locksmith will get your ignition switch, the gas tank, and the seat and helmet locks operational. Depending on what you already have apart on the ignition, you may find the code stamped somewhere there. If you can figure out how to remove the helmet lock, you'll also find the key code stamped on the backside of that. (As I recall, the helmet lock is held on by only one screw, but its lock-tited and you can't get a driver directly on it.)

Good score! After I got mine and dealt with a few minor issues, it ran splendidly with the stock jetting and the FOG mod. Aftermarket mufflers may change that formula slightly, but stock is where you should start, IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooooffta thank you for the tip about the start fluid lol... oh man I feel dumb. But good to know forsure thanks I never knew that but I’ve never been in this situation either. Appreciate it .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m disregarding the keyfor the ignition it isn’t important for what I’m going to use it for. But the gas tank is a must. I’ll see if I can get that key code off the helmet lock. Thank

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The petcock was ridiculously gunked up I can only imagine what the inside of the carbs look like

1 - 6 of 6 Posts