Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.......sweet....no such thing as too muck brakes on a street bike for me, I'd have 6 piston ABS Brembos if i could afford 'em...

Anywho, its now 2-'89 GSXR-750 Nissin frt calipers (and frt end), I was running 1 caliper (which worked fine, stoppie fine but took a good amount of force, ie, weren't 2 finger brakes) but went to 2 calipers with new Galfer SS lines,(ebay, $40) in cool red.....

yeah i know, i didn't wanna run em that way either but that's the way they wanted to go......

and yes i do have a soild GSXR-1000 rotor on one side (fully floating) and a drilled 750 rotor (no float) on the other side, it's cause i had one on each of my 2 gsxr front rims, 1 with a slick and 1 with a raintire when i was racing (it rains allot at Fla races) and new EBC rotors are like $180 ea....

and no, the right side isn't drilled for safety wire yet but will be...and yes those are huge fork tubes, i thought they were 41mm but I just put in new fork seals and had the frt end rebuilt, they are 43mm...

(p.s. the right rotor hasn't been run yet, that's why it looks rusty still)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Re: My new frt brakes and SS lines are on!!....and the peasants all rejoiced....

Once you get used to them...

you'll let us know how the brake feel changes for different amounts of hand-pull (lever movement).

How did you get the two calipers to pull evenly?
Did you get a different master cylinder, put in a proportioning valve, just a simple Tee... or ?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have the GSXR setup at the top too, but basicly you just add a double banjo bolt at the top and run both lines to it...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Re: My new frt brakes and SS lines are on!!....and the peasants all rejoiced....

How easy/involved is it to switch out the front end like that? Not really worth the trouble for everyday street use? I do notice the front end "dipping" quite a bit under hard braking. Just curious... thx!

·
Registered
19,366 Posts
All you need are some correct springs.

FOG

·
Registered
279 Posts

Is that just through trial and error?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
naw, you just order the Prgressive Suspension springs for a EX, you can also try a grade or two heavier weight fork oil...

Or one of these guys can tell you some cheaper way via PVC spacers and stock springs...

·
Registered
19,366 Posts
The cheapest is the cut your spring and add spacers route. How myuch do you weight? Never mind, what year bike? later than 94 cut 2" off the spring and replace the spacer with one 2.5" longer.
Pre 94 cut 3.5" off the spring and replace with a 4-5 " spacer for correct sag.

These are by no means cut and dried diminsions just a starting point that will not harm anything and will make a vast improvment. Cost is virtually 0 except for a foot of 1" PVC.

FOG

·
Registered
279 Posts

Sweet, I'll have to try that out, one of these days. BTW, I weigh 215-220#'s

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I was wrong, they aren't 2 finger brakes now....................they are 1 finger brakes......wow. I like, the increased stopping power with less input effort is nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts