Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my local dealers has a 650cc V-twin Hyosung GT650R @$4500, from South Korea, they mainly import scooters but are bringing in bigger bikes now.

I have a local dealer who can get parts and I read several reviews in UK/Oz online bike mags, they said they are nice but need some beefing up in the brakes (better pads they though might do it)

Hyosung has a been a supplier of motor parts and motors to Suzuki for the last 30 years, they built the Suzuki 650 twin motor...
I really like to drive something different then everybody else and this seems to fit the bill.... (my car is a Suzuki 4x4 X90)

Anybody else seen one/likes em?

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
200 Posts
there is a good article on them in this month's Motorcyclist Mag.. pick it up if you don't have it already.. they really explain their thoughts on the bike..
they sounded good.. just a step or two behind the suzuki sv seris

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Jkrup47 said:
there is a good article on them in this month's Motorcyclist Mag.. pick it up if you don't have it already.. they really explain their thoughts on the bike..
they sounded good.. just a step or two behind the suzuki sv seris
The cruiser got good reviews , the sportbike not so good . But , they believe that they will be a major contender in the next few years .

·
Registered
165 Posts
wow, I have never heard of these bikes, but now that I've looked at them they're pretty stinking sweet!!! there are some vids on youtube of them.....

·
Registered
722 Posts
the Hyosung's are hard to find in the US I hear, but United Motors sells them here with a rebadge and a price hike. I thing the 650R model at the dealership I got my 500 from was selling them 6Kish OTD

·
Registered
348 Posts
I wouldn't get a Hyosung only because it'll be more difficult to get parts, and I'm sure the performance mod/upgrade market is quite small.

It's also a twin, and unless your heart is really settled on it, you can purchase a better equivalent bike that has more of a history in the U.S. Seeing as you like the fact that it's something "different"... that's really all the reason you need in order to buy it. There was a 2005 Hyosung GT650R for sale in my area, the guy was asking blue book and I couldn't afford it. Good luck all the same!

·
Registered
261 Posts
They had a huge setup here at the Spokane bike show a couple weeks back. They look like decent enough but they scream "Kia of bikes". I for one will be sticking with Kawis.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I read a review a few years ago, when they started imported more. They were given a fairly decent review. It's like most things, Korean made is good, but not quite as good as Japanese made. There's always advantages to buying a bike from the big four, but you also pay significantly more for those. I think Hyosung would be considered a good value. That being said, if you have a rare bike, importing parts is always more expensive. But I hear you on wanting something original.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Its a rip off of the sv with fairings but they do look good.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Smoky said:
Its a rip off of the sv with fairings but they do look good.
Not so much a ripoff as the guy that started Hyosung designed the SV650 engine, and had the patent in his name so when he left suzuki he was able to use it for his company. IIRC.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was actually pretty interested when I saw this bike at the Toronto bike show in January, the bike does look pretty good, from far, but when you get closer and compare it to one of the big 4, you begin to notice some areas where they could've done better. It just doesn't have the same feel as one of the more established companies. But man they look pretty damn good if you as me, I think I might have some pictures of it from the show, I'll try and post them if I have any. But for the lower price, the styling and the uniqueness, this is one bike that I wouldn't mind getting either,,,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts