Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 98 last summer off a novice female rider who dropped the bike at a somewhat low speed. there was damage to the fairing around the turn signals, bent brake lever and pedal, terrible paint and decals, bent handel bar, etc. I slowly cleaned it up over the fall and winter this year, and last weekend finally painted it and chopped the rear fender and added some after market LP short stalk turn signals. Next I need to put a smoked screen on so I can read my gauges when it's sunny and gut the exhaust to liven up the tone.
Paint colour is flint gray mica.

and

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
A good clean look.
Thanks for posting up!

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
looks great! I love blacked out bikes. though mine is gonna be day glo pink cause I'm pimp like that.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Good looking machine 8)

I like it

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, a lot of work, but I enjoy it when I don't mess things up. I sprayed using a new gun, hose and compressor, so I messed up my first coat of clear due to improper pressure. Once that was wet sanded and my cousin came over and we figured out the proper pressure at the tank and the gun's regulator, we were all set.

Metallics came out awesome. Now I have to keep it clean, when it was a primered rat bike, I could care less.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
as everyone else has said great job ,looks very nice. I did my cans a while back ,and am expecting my new windscreen soon ,hope mine looks good with it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
how do you gut the exhaust?? I looked at mine and i see the rivets that need to be drilled out, but what do you replace them with? I really like the turn signals!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't gutted them but if I were too, I would drill out the rivets, remove the end cap, remove the packing and see what it sounded like, if I wanted more sound I'd then cut the baffles out and then re rivet everything back together again using a rivet gun.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
That's pretty much it, but once you remove the end caps you have to use a cutting wheel, grinder, dremel, or something to remove the retaining cap from the center of the pipe before you can get to the baffle or packing.

Just replace the rivets with new rivets, or just leave the caps off. I just left mine off, sent them to another EX-er, actually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts