Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my first ride;
http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,2108.0.html

Well, the weather was beautiful this morning, so I pulled out the bike, which I bought yesterday, and checked the tires. This is something I should have done yesterday, but the PO had said the pressure was fine. Not! 12 PSI in the front and 8 in the rear. How did i make it home in the rain without killing myself? How did I get 55MPG? Guess it was because I was babying a bike I'd never ridden because it was raining and the back tire is down to the wear bars.

I started it up after filling the tires and she was running much better than yesterday. I had put fresh gas in the tank and some Fuel Power, (a fuel system cleaner highly recommended on the oil forum) I dialed up the idle to 1000 and she seemed much happier, though maybe it's just the carbs needing cleaning and I'm not used to twins.

I pulled out of the drive and was struck once more by the light weight of the bike and how easy it is to lean it over. Again, it really reminds me of my first bike, the GN 250. The GN250 was 100Lbs lighter, but had it's leading axle fork took a bit more pull to lean it over than the 300Lbs would suggest. I got it up to 2000 RPM and whacked the throttle open in first. She has an almost thumper like feel as she pulls away, this dissapearing at around 5k, as the bike begins to switch modes.

I got on the brakes as I aproached a stop sign and realized that they are not as light as those on my Concours, more like the ones on my Fazer, but a good hard pull brings her down to a stop very quickly. I turned the corner and rolled hard into the throttle, upshifting a few gears when I hit 25, and let her just lope along. It really does feel like my Concours engine missing two cylinders, when loafing along. The 1000 cc concours is happy to putt along at 2000 RPM, smooth as can be, but you feel every power pulse with the 500.

I took a few corners at 20 or so, enjoying the honest feel of the bike. It simply does what you tell it to do. No fuss or drama. No feeling like it's going to fall over or slip. I'm nowhere near its limits, not even lightly touching the pegs down, but the bike is very confidence inspiring, something my freshly motorcycle licensed fiance' is grateful far.

I pulled out into the the feeder road of the beltway and opened her up for the first time, letting the engine go to 10k. She gives that thumperish feeling up to 5k, smoothing out but not really pulling much harder up to 7k, the coming onto the power from 7k on up to 10k, where I can detect she's starting to ease off. I ran it up through the gears until I hit 80, then backed off to 60 before brezzing through some traffic and entering the beltway. I downshifted and let the engine sing some more, hitting 90 then backing down to 75 for the interchange ramp. She went through the ramp as sweet as you please, leaned over a bit, but again, nowhere near the limit. I merged into traffic on 59, and headed Southwest for a while. The bike loafs along at 70, and is just starting to work at 80. I look forward to doing some commuting on her. I really think she'll excel at that. It's nice to have another vehicle for the rotation, and 50+ MPG doesn't hurt things.

The dual nature of this bike is simply beautiful. I really love how it is so easy to ride while putting around, but that it changes into a hard charging screamer when you wring her neck. This is a size of bike that I missed as I was moving up the food chain, and I regret it now. No biggie though, I've got her now. Kind of like having an affair with the girl next door, the one you never noticed, years later, and then marrying her.

I've had a few inline-4s, and they are sweet engines, but I love the character of the twin, the way it's rough and uncouth at low RPMs, but smooth and powerful at high RPMs. I also love how narrow it is, and in turn, how narrow the bike is. This is something I've missesd ever since my 250 was stolen and I moved up to the Maxim 650.

At this point, I'm feeling like this is the Miata of bikedom. I've owned one of those, and it gives me the same kind of smiles. Light and manuverable, not as fast as some of the machinery out there, but plenty fast enough to have fun. I could see myself moving up to a Ninja 650 in a couple of years, but I think I'm with parralel twins to stay.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Once you adjust the pilot jets (& FOG airbox mod) it'll smooth out some at the lower revs.
How'd the clutch feel this time?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutch feels the same, but I'm used to it now. My fiance finds the clutch to be much easier to use than with the Buell Blast she did MSF on, so it's certainly not bad.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IronMan2003 said:
It's not good to lug the engine........ ::)
You and I must have different ideas about lugging an engine...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Opening the throttle in 1st at 2k is not lugging it. If it were in a higher gear, yes, it would be. An engine gives a very distinct feel and sound when it's lugging, and my engine, in 1st, is not giving that feel and sound. Now if I try to open the throttle to accelerate, at all, in 3rd from 2,000, yes, it lets me know that I am lugging it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts