Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hit 3000 miles on the bike today! Its probably not much to many of you who have most likely lost count years ago, but it brought a smile to my face when I noticed it had rolled over.

Three thousand down, hundreds of thousands left to go...

By the way, for those of you who haven't lost count, how many do you have? If you have lost count, guess! ;D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Congratulations. I have about 9000 miles in 14 months of riding total.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
well, between two EX500's I've got about 6500-7k miles logged. 4000 of which was on my old one, the rest is on my newer one. planning to put like 50k on this one, maybe 100k before I decide to get rid of it. though I also kinda plan on a ZX6R, or maybe a CBR600 in the not TOO distant future.

G

·
About 25-30,000 miles on three bikes. Kind of bummed tho..... The 05 EX has 13,800 miles on it. By FOG's estimate, its almost half used up......... :'(

Rich

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
No worries Rich, worst comes to worst, you find an engine and rebuild the tranny and it's good for another couple of rides ;)

Great stuff mfrankpdx ! I guess you can now see what performance she can offer you ;D

G

·
Frog said:
No worries Rich, worst comes to worst, you find an engine and rebuild the tranny and it's good for another couple of rides ;)
Not many people seem to really know how far an EX can go. Guess I will be the one to find out...
Its fast enough that I don't see a need to upgrade, and I'm too cheap to get a new one just to have a new toy.

Rich

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
RichC10 said:
About 25-30,000 miles on three bikes. Kind of bummed tho..... The 05 EX has 13,800 miles on it. By FOG's estimate, its almost half used up......... :'(

Rich
Rich, it seems like it's not so much a matter of miles but of rpm/hrs... that weird little meter on the tach (on my '05, anyway).

People who constantly rev high for each gear will have considerably higher revs/mile... which ought to translate into more engine-wear/mile. Seems a person with twice the revs/mile would have half the life expectancy. But...

There are other factors or variables, that come to mind:
number of cold starts per, say, 1000/mi (cold starts cause the most wear)
proportion of starts that get to full warm-ups
maintenance (esp oil & filter, air cleaner, and maybe carbs?)

I think I'll start a topic where people post their odometer readings & their tach gauge reading.
Any clarifications, additions, corrections are welcome.

G

·
MrSciTrek said:
Rich, it seems like it's not so much a matter of miles but of rpm/hrs... that weird little meter on the tach (on my '05, anyway).
odometer readings & their tach gauge reading.
??? Where is this little meter? All thats on mine is the trip odo....

Rich

G

·
36,000 kms. And it runs as smooth as the day I got it! I really don't see an end in sight of my little EX either, this engine is bullet proof :)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
RichC10 said:
??? Where is this little meter? All that's on mine is the trip odo....

Rich
On my '05 there is a miles-travelled odometer on the speedometer (left gauge)
While the tachometer (right gauge) had a similar rev/hr (?) meter that looks like an odometer.

Maybe it's only on more recent bikes?

Corrected: dumb me didn't realize it was a trip meter. Thanks for the correction, Rich.
Thought I better fix it before I messed up some poor trusting soul.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
RichC10 said:
MrSciTrek said:
odometer readings & their tach gauge reading.
??? Where is this little meter? All thats on mine is the trip odo....

Rich
On the tachometer... RIGHT gauge. Maybe it's only on the newer bikes (mine's an '05).
Corrected: the tach has a trip-meter that I thought was something else.
Note: I got this pic from the Mileage Competition topic.

·
Registered
91 Posts
mfrankpdx said:
it brought a smile to my face when I noticed it had rolled over.
Yeah, I'm like you in that everytime my bike passes another 1000 miles, I feel like I should celebrate. I now have 12,000 miles of riding in my 18 months of motorcycling. Congratulations!!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've logged about 12k on my ex, another 2k on my old CB750, and probably another 18k on other peoples bikes (mostly long trips on cruisers). So probably 32k miles on the street in the 6 years that I've been riding.

Add to that dirt bikes and quads and your probably looking at doubling that number

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
RichC10 said:
;) That is the trip odometer MrSciTrek......

I'll leave the ribbing to others.....

Rich
And man do I deserve it!
I got the bike used w/o owners manual & I couldn't figure out what that little meter was for. I read some article about an hour meter or rev/hr meter & made a huge "A-ha" leap. Well, better here in words, than a big boo-boo on the road. As FOG might say... too much academics, not enough hands-on. :-X

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
shortly after i purchased my R, i reset both (at the gas station filling up before the ride home). right now i have about 250 miles on the R, i can tell because i left the right trip for how many miles i've put on the bike :) it did take me a couple minutes (and to read the dashboard) to figure out how to reset the trip odometers (well, to be honest i knew about pushing to reset)... those arrows helped a bit too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts