Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm trying to find the cause of an oil leak, it looks like it's coming from under the crankcase, on the right hand side. Seems to be coming from a vertical indentation on the crankcase right behind the level sight glass, see the photo attached. Has nothing to do with water pump, as I fully replaced seals, gaskets, etc on the pump and it made no difference. I think it started after I dropped the bike on that side lol. It's a really severe leak, oil level goes from top of sight glass to bottom in about 30 seconds when running the engine, but barely leaks when engine is off. Any ideas? I hope it's not a crack in the case. Is it a weep hole for the clutch that I'm looking at? Is the clutch supposed to be fully soaked in oil or is it normally more of a spray?

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
You say it goes to the bottom of the site glass in 30 seconds, does it drain back and fill it back up when you turn the bike back off?

If it is leaking it has to go somewhere.... It may just be the pic on my phone, but it looks more like antifreeze in there than it does oil... But again it may just be how I'm looking at it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is it leaking from the bottom of the engine cases, or is it leaking from the clutch case cover? I would imagine that much oil loss should be pretty obvious to spot and pinpoint.

I also thought that your oil was the strangest color I've seen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. It looks like antifreeze because I used a bottle of UV dye trying to trace the leak, then I refilled with brand new oil, I guess the residual dye makes it look like that. It's definitely (mostly) leaking onto the ground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like it's coming from the case itself, I'm guessing it's a cracked case then. It's hard to tell because it comes from that corner where the two surfaces meet, maybe it's obvious but it's not obvious to me....

·
Registered
120 Posts
baby powder; that's right "Baby Powder"!!

Sprinkle the area with baby powder, then start the engine and watch the black oil track across the white powder.

Never fails to pinpoint exact source of a leak. If it's oil, then it's either cracked crankcase, cracked clutch cover or leaking cover gasket.

Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
baby powder; that's right "Baby Powder"!!

Sprinkle the area with baby powder, then start the engine and watch the black oil track across the white powder.

Never fails to pinpoint exact source of a leak. If it's oil, then it's either cracked crankcase, cracked clutch cover or leaking cover gasket.

Cheers!
Brilliant! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
It's more likely to be a cracked cover than case, but either is possible. Obviously, replacing a cracked anything is the ideal scenario, but if you don't feel like doing that or are on a budget, JB Weld can work wonders. Years ago, I accidentally stripped out the drain plug threads in the oil pan during an oil change. I had a long ride planned for the next afternoon, so I JB welded the drain plug back into the pan and used the next 3,000 miles to source a replacement pan. Worked great and didn't leak. Obviously wasn't a permanent fix, but it did what I needed it to at the time.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
its from the weep hole in the water pump. your water pump seal is bad and the coolant that passes it goes ou the weep hole in front of the engine,

FOG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its from the weep hole in the water pump. your water pump seal is bad and the coolant that passes it goes ou the weep hole in front of the engine,

FOG
Water pump seal (and all gaskets) was replaced; it's not the water pump.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Got a buck says it is
Fog

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Did you install a new oil seal? Corectlly
?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it is the water pump, and replacing the seals and gaskets didn't help, how should I fix it?
Take the pump out and replace the seals again. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself or you don't have the correct tools to install the seals, find a shop that will do it for you.

I fought this same problem on my 300. Either I buggered up the seal when installing it (likely) or the seal was bad from the get-go (considerably less likely). If you want to prove it's the water pump, tip the bike on it's side so you don't lose any oil, take the pump out and wrap the part with the weep hole in electrical tape. Then put it back together and re-check. If there's no more leak, you found the culprit. I did this as a "short term" fix so I could finish a track day. Never mind that I haven't fixed it properly yet. I'll get to it. (Don't do this. I'm wreckless, lazy and/or dumb. Fix it properly. Promptly)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts