Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was almost home riding back from the Gym today at the light waiting to cross 19th ave - this big street in SF where you can't turn left so you gotta go around the block. At the front of the line I'm thinking "this is taking forever and I really need to get a deep tissue massage to get this knot out of my back..."

I'm a light watcher, so as soon as green hit, I already intended on gunning it (because of my impatience) and as I am I realize there is a bastard RUNNING the red light...

I'm already well into my off the line hop and I look at his face and he just has this look of horror on his face.

[[ By the way, this is the 2nd time I had a near T-bone on anus 19th ave by MORONS who live out in the Sunset and don't deserve licenses..]]

Now what happened next is why I'm writing this :

I let off the throttle, stood up on my bike as I was ending the intersection and watched his car go across trying to get a good look at it.

The next thing that happened was complete and total autopilot.
I went as fast as I could around the block in a really hard turn and was screaming down 20th and got back on Judah to 19th.

I pretty much "found myself" on the corner of the gas station just watching traffic, trying to pick him out like a lion on a hill.
I had no idea what I was going to do, but it was just like this instinctual predatory thing that came out of me.

Then I remember my friend Jimmy's signature off another board.. something like "act first, react later."
And I realized that whatever my brain was planning was a very bad idea....that and this lady honked at me cause I was obliviously on the sidewalk blocking the entrance of the gas station.

I'm a pretty well tempered guy (I like to think ) - but this was really something else -- almost like a fight or flight reaction. Except like a fly then go start fight reaction.

I attributed it to knowing that I was in serious danger - but I thought I'd share the experience and see if anyone else has had any similar experiences or insights.

-N

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Gosh... 25+ years ago. Maybe a Saturday night in suburban west Omaha... "Q" street.
I'm on my old Honda Hawk 400 Twin .
Couple guys in a pick up truck do something... cut me off... not sure now.

I followed them out to a nearby farm, w/ gobs of other cars parked... a couple dozen folks there, older teen & early twenty year olds. I was late 20's then... substitute teacher.

They parked, I parked... remeber thinking about speaking w/ strength but not w/ aggression (uh, yeah) wanting to make sure those guys knew what their mistake was. Some of their friends came over... long necks in hand... to see what the commotion was. I decided I had been foolish to get into the situation & needed to swing the crown mood (?), and asked if any of them had been on a motorcycle or had cycling friends who'd been cut off.

Worked. They said, "Sorry, man." & I left w/ grace (& luck). Wouldn't do it again. I think.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I see two areas of concern with your post. 1) we all know that assholes run red lights or long ambers. Why in the world would you gun it the second the light turns green. take a half second to scan both ways before entering an intersection, even if the light is green. 2) We've all seen the news where some dweeb gets killed because of a stupid road rage incident. don't become one of those dweebs, it's not worth it.

To answer your question though, yes I used to get very irate by peoples' total lack of driving skill, I would yell and swear and shoot the bird, but I know it didn't solve much of anything. Now I just try to avoid those situations and when I can't, I'm just thankful it didn't turn out a whole lot worse.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely think it's a bad idea to get violent over these things which is why this whole situation suprised me.
In LA and Fresno people literally get shot over this kind of stuff, and seriously its not worth your life.

However, therein lies the irony.... because I know what "man I can't believe what that guy just did in traffic" reaction feels like but this literally felt like my physiology reacted to a fatal threat.
It was really interesting pyschologically.

Funny thing is --- if it wasn't for my acceleration and I would have accelerated SLOWLY - he would have hit me.

The light was bright red when he entered the intersection.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a near miss the other day & about twenty or thirty seconds after both me & the car involved were sat at a red light. I felt like my head was going to explode, I think it's like the after effects of an adrenaline surge. You have all this extra 'juice' and nowhere to use it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seriously dude --- thank god for freeones.com right ??? (NOT WORK SAFE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Thanks for the warning, it's much appreciated 8)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't have a tinted visor, so I'm a fan of the evil-eye if I can catch up and stop next to the person at a stoplight.

I just like seeing people who cut me off or merged into my lane look around, see me scowling at them, and their eyes immediately dart forward, and they just start staring straight down the road. I know what they did, and they know what they did. Making them feel bad about it makes me feel better about it. I guess I'm a bit of a sick puppy...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
^ Well, it's the only alternative I've found. Just look, and let them imagine what's happening for real, usually I'm smiling wide under my helmet ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
back in 1976 I did a stunt like you only I did chase him down. It makes no sence to do that kind of thing.
older now I have learned to pay close attention to what I'm doing as well as others. You can't be a mad man
on a bike learn to control your anger insted of it controlling YOU. ;D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hypothetical but might be true, check this out: perhaps the guy who run the red light was at his work when he received a call from the local hospital where his only daughter is receiving treatment for heart disease complications. The mother, his wife, called him to tell him to come over ASAP to the hospital to hear the sound of his daughter for the last time (doctors have done everything but couldn't do anymore.) That guy is probably running to get a good last glimpse of his daughter (to tell her, he loves her.) To stand by her as she takes her last breath.

Impossible? Not really (thus, don't judge others or think of retaliation---you honestly don't know what someone is going through.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
yep I have blowed a head gasket more than once but in 36 years of riding I have finally figured out a cool head usually results in better out comes of encounters with cagers and the law instead of kicking the door in on there pick-up truck.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
A few months back I was getting ready to make the right turn onto the sidestreet which my offices located on from a large 5 lane in each direction main road (Arden, right infront of the mall for those that know sacramento). This lade in a corvette comes screeming over from not 1 or 2 but 4 lanes over. It was a good thing I was already on my brakes because she nearly clipped the front wheel of my bike even after I took evasive action. She makes the same right turn I do, but slams on her brakes and comes nearly to a stop to take the turn. She then realized I am right behind her because I she cut me off then slammed on her brakes. About 50 yards up the street she tries to brake check me and comes to a complete stop because she feels I am tailgating her at a whole 20 mph. I pass her, pull in front of her, put the kickstand down, walked back to her window and calmly requested she check her mirrors before she makes illegal lane changes.

I would like to say I did not let my anger get the better of me but when she told me to F'off I snapped and yelled a few choice words at her I won't care to mention.

I have seen her several times since then, she apparently works on the same street I have, I give her the evil eye each time I see her.

·
Registered
241 Posts
2 weeks ago... my apartment building had some construction going on...

so one day, i get on my bike, back out of my spot.......then start driving off like normal.......... after about 10 meters, there was a loud noise and felt like i ran over a big rock or something.......so i stopped, i looked back, saw nothing, got off my bike, saw nothing.......... then a construction working start coming up to me, yelling at me y was i speeding in the parking lot, y was i driving so fast...... turned out, those dumba$$ pulled a steel cable from the building to the middle of the parking lot using a pick up truck... it was a bright sunny day, i mean, who the hell is going to look for a steel cable pulled across the road. They didn't even put any cones to warn anybody. He had the guts to yell at me...

At first, I was expecting he coming up to me saying sorry for almost killing me........when he yelled at me saying I don't look where I was going, i was shocked and a little pissed off......... i honestly would have beat him into the ground if I wasn't in a good mood. Doubt it would hurt me at all if I fight him in my leather jacket and helmet and bike glove with hard knuckles... but I was in a good mood, so I drove off and complained to the office........... now i feel i am a grownup.... hahahaa

D

·
0 Posts
Hunter4570 said:
Jason said:
not a good idea, a ot of people carry guns nowadays.
thats why you just gotta make sure you carrier a bigger gun ;)
Doesn't matter if you've got a handgun or a shotgun. There are no varying degrees of dead.

Been cut off plenty of times. I just accept that they're stupid and the only reason I'm still alive is because I'm smarter than they are. Then I continue on my smug little way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i got told a long time ago by an old man, "if your going to a fist fight carry a knife, if your going to a knife fight carry a gun". He died of very unnatural causes not too long ago.....

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
My buddy's dad always told us "Never take a knife to a gun fight. Never pull a weapon on someone because if they have one bigger your dead."

1 - 20 of 40 Posts