Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just received a 2003 ninja 500R but I don't think all the parts are right on it. The wheels are 16" rims and the Rear has a drum brake and not a disc. What could that be off of and what should i do to fix the fact that I don't have a rear brake at the moment.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
pictures might help
extra sure on what year it is?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeh difinatly the Vin number would solve the problem. Either alot of parts were replaced real cheap, or someone pulled the ole' switcharoo on you.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Could also be a wrecked 1st gen that got a replacement frame off an '03 - then the VIN wouldn't matter because it would actually be an '03 number. I'd worry more about how much you paid than what year it is in that situation - it's fixed but it's not an actual '03.

As for the rear brake - is the rod attached to the drum and running to the rear brake pedal? Mine didn't work when I got the bike and it was a matter of new brake pads and a good bit of adjustment. If this is a converted bike it's possible that the rear brake pedal is for the disc setup and the drum couldn't be connected as is. Does the rear pedal have a fluid reservoir?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I took a closer look at it yesterday when i got home from work. The title calls for a 2003 Kawasaki ninja 500R. the rims look like the ones on that red bike (and no its not that bike). The bike frame has a master cylinder and like one of you said the wheel needs a link bar of some type to work properly. The good thing is that I am only paying like $200 for the bike. So its not like i'm getting taken. I will have to get the Vin# for you guys to decipher. the bike is kinda in shambles right now i'll try to get some pics up today some time.

Thanks

- B -

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
If you paid real money for that "Thing" you've been had. Somebody swapped the wheels From a pre 94 bike and put them on the frame the dummy forgot to take the swing Arm too. that why your rear brake doesn't work the brake pedal is the wrong one too
At least he left you the MC and the Hyd pedal.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Great ! We know know that a 1st gen wheel will work if you put it on backward on a 2nd gen bike thanks to the prev owner ;D

You'll be looking into getting a rear wheel with the disc. Do you see any mouting point for the rear caliper on the swingarm ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
i can sell you every thing you need i have a 2006 rear wheel with tire sprocket disc brake brake caliper and axle for $100 + shipping

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
actually I kinda laugh at that also the front tire has printed on the side wall "Harley Davidson". And yes it is way to big.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
NewRider said:
the front tire has printed on the side wall "Harley Davidson".
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! GET IT OFF, GET IT OFF, IT BURNS!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
^ :D

How does that feel when you ride it ? I like the looks of fat front tires ;D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
interesting piece you have there :) check your PM's

·
Registered
2,526 Posts