Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well.. I've been riding my FZR 1000 since i got it a couple weeks ago, and i blew a fork seal, so i took it to a guys place about 35 minutes away to do the fork seals, with the intentions of riding the ninja for a couple days while he has the fzr, like the genious that i am, i left the key for the ninja on the keyring for the yamaha, is there anyway i can steal my own bike? I'm not worried about hotwiring the bike or anything, because if anyone wants to steal it, they can have it, so if theres an easy way to hot wire it and get into the gas tank, i need the trick haha, im pretty lazy and dont feel like drivingt he gas hog to go get the key

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
it would be less effort and quicker to go get the key. JMO :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok. Don't be lazy and go get the key. Well, wait. Getting the key would be the lazy way....haha. Just go get the darn key. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
IMO, getting the key IS the lazy way. hotwiring a bike is trickier than a car, and the gas tank lock isnt any simpler.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you want to find the 2 wires that turn the power to the bike on, to fill it with gas take a drill and drill a small hole in the gas cap, pop the lock and buy a new one to replace the old one, or you could just go get your key

·
Registered
267 Posts
derf said:
If you want to find the 2 wires that turn the power to the bike on, to fill it with gas take a drill and drill a small hole in the gas cap, pop the lock and buy a new one to replace the old one, or you could just go get your key
And try not to get metal shavings in the gas tank...
just go get the keys.

·
Registered
146 Posts
manxclone said:
I have 2 keys to my bike. I'll bet most of us do. Maybe I'm cynical, but there might be more to this "story."
Perhaps there is. I was thinking that when I first read it. That's what leads to the suggestion to go get the key. I don't know about anyone else but I would def be heartbroken over losing my EX....haha. I'd be pissed if someone just took it. How could someone not care?

S

·
0 Posts
That's why I have an extra switch and key for the ignition; I could steal any Kawa with a green plug! There's nothing non-destructive I can do with the tank cap, except remove it when I need to fill up or replace it with a keyed cap.

There's a un-reassuring video on Live Video showing how to steal an R1 with a hammer and a screwdriver. Perfect for emergencies, grand theft or midnight bike supply.

How long does it take your shop to replace a seal? Took me almost two hours including a thorough cleaning DIY.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took them about 3 and a half hours, but it only costed me 40 bucks plus parts, so i wont complain, they're inverted forks which make them a little more difficult from what i undestand, and i didnt have the tools to do it othewise i would've , probably wouldnt hesitate to do them on my ninja

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
well, $40 plus parts aint bad. inverted forks are probably similar to regular ones in terms of how hard they are to replace seals on. I didnt know an FZR came with inverted forks though. I thought they all came with upside down forks like our 500's have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts