Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y’all, I’m really hoping someone can give me some assistance, bought my first bike, EX500, and it ran ok for awhile(15ish days) and now I’m having some problems, when I try to start, it had to crank between 5-8 times before it would go, now it won’t even start up right, it cranks but doesn’t get going, It will also make a weird buzzing sound, called a mechanic he said to check plugs, then do oil, then carbs and if that doesn’t work go to a mechanic, if someone can give me a solution or any insight I really appreciate it

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,107 Posts
we've heard this many times on EX....difficult starting degrades into a no start....clogged carbs very likely. .

·
Border Kong
962 Posts
That weird buzzing sound is the starter solenoid trying to engage the starter motor, but, as the battery has been depleted while cranking, it has no enough power to spin the starter motor.

First thing to check, even before cleaning carbs, I would dare to say, is the battery condition. Get it fully charged, then do a load test. You will need at least a voltmeter to do this.
  • Connect the meter leads to the battery with the bike ignition switch off. Take note of the voltage displayed (it should be higher than 12.5V)
  • Turn the key on and check voltaje again (it should NOT going down rapidly, must keep above 12.3V at least 1 minute)
  • Press the starter button and check voltage while the starter motor is spinning. This is the most important one: the battery voltage should NO go lower than 11.5V. If battery voltage go lower, the ignition system will not have enough power to make a good spark and will be very difficult to start. This is a common cause of a non starting bike.

If your battery pass all the above tests, then it's time to check carbs.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
you can do it with the probes easily. just hold them in place with one hand while pushing the starter with the other.
or make a wooden plate 1/4in thick same size as battery top where the terminals are. drill two holes one above each terminal so the probes fit in snug. then hold that on the battery while testing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Howdy y’all, I’m really hoping someone can give me some assistance, bought my first bike, EX500, and it ran ok for awhile(15ish days) and now I’m having some problems, when I try to start, it had to crank between 5-8 times before it would go, now it won’t even start up right, it cranks but doesn’t get going, It will also make a weird buzzing sound, called a mechanic he said to check plugs, then do oil, then carbs and if that doesn’t work go to a mechanic, if someone can give me a solution or any insight I really appreciate it
Edit: thanks for the assistance guys, got a brand new battery, still makes the same sounds, but I checked on my peacock and there was a huge crack, where gas was leaking, gonna get that fixed, then do plugs, then do what y’all suggested for the load test, I also wanted to ask, while I was driving the bike a few days before, I was in 4th gear, sitting at 4K rpms and it died, rpms wouldn’t go up and bike kept slowing down, stopped, waited a second, then started it again till I got home, does anyone know if it’s a stator issue or something else
Update: checked everything, replaced the hose and made sure battery was charged, and the baby Started and wanted to go, which is awesome. I think my current issue is that I have a short somewhere and it drains my battery, gonna get it looked at sometime this week, but even with the new hose, some gas leaked out, and the old hose(fat one) leaked a bunch of gas, I’m gonna have someone help reconnect them, and hopefully I’ll be golden. Can anyone send me a link to a picture of the hoses on correctly, my new little hose is on the little nipple of the petcock, and the old big hose is on the big nipple, just wanted to make sure I’m doin it right, not sure what could happen if they get mixed up, thanks guys y’all are all chads with magnum dongs

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I would guess fuel delivery.
happened to me last week out for a ride first 30miles nice and steady ran fine. hit a bit of open road wound it on 5 mins later started bogging down and slowing finally cutting out. Oh shoot bet I'm short of fuel turned to res no difference it stalled. parked the bike a few mins while I had a quick look nothing to see. plenty of gas, then tried it started right up. ran fine decided to carry on few mins later did same thing. right time to go home. by holding it at low revs I was able to get back. on inspection I found a chunk of rubber stuck in the filter. it effectively had cut the flow to a trickle so was in fact running out of fuel when the float levels dropped. going slow just kept enough fuel in the bowls to allow it to run.

a similar issue is caused when the vent flaps in the filler cap get stuck this causes a vacuum in the tank and has the same effect of stopping the fuel flow opening the cap lets it run again. cured by removing the flaps in the cap.

I doubt it being anything to do with the stator this just provides power to charge the battery Via the RR. if the bikes charging it's more than likely fine. the bike will run without one or the RR on battery power alone. well that is until it drops to below 11.5v when the ignition doesn't have enough power to fire the plugs. via the igniter. if that was the issue the bike would not re start or even turn over on the starter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since you mentioned crack in petcock, that'd be my first guess too. I've had issued with mine more than a few times, mostly after switching to reserve. I didn't find the vacuum line diagram under the seat for the first 5 years of so, but when I finally found it there were a few hoses that needed rerouting.

A loose electrical connection / battery terminal(s) could also make the bike die, don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
A loose electrical connection / battery terminal(s) could also make the bike die, don't ask me how I know.
yes it would because loose/dirty/corroded terminals increase the resistance in the wires starving the CDI of the required power to keep it running. but (putting my diagnostic hat on here) there is a difference.
electrical issues tend to do one of two things either just cut out and stop. or it starts misfiring gets worse then cuts one cylinder and finally stops running.
fuel starvation is different it tends to loose power. bog down hesitate and finally stop. if you have ever set off with the petcock turned off you know what that feels like. it's unmistakable.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,107 Posts
fuel starvation is different it tends to loose power. bog down hesitate and finally stop. if you have ever set off with the petcock turned off you know what that feels like. it's unmistakable.
can also be evidenced in varying degrees, o' course...example ...a certain circuit on 1 carb, but not the other....creating weird running/starting issues.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
can also be evidenced in varying degrees, o' course...example ...a certain circuit on 1 carb, but not the other....creating weird running/starting issues.
absolutely correct. good point. I was just making the assertion that fuel issues and electrical issues are different in the manner they rear their ugly head.
for instance when the problem occurred I knew it was fuel related. yet the other problem with the gen 1 I had (intermittent misfire and cutting out) were ignition related. (turned out to be a loose connection on the side stand switch).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.