Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone this is my first post as ive just recently bought my first bike. I got a pretty good deal on it but its not in the best shape. It has received the franken naked treatment and im hoping to get it back to stock. Im gonna separate my questions out to make it easier to answer. It's worth mentioning that i have the bike as pictured and no extra parts. I do think that the bike looks pretty good right now I just don't want the struggle of reaching road legal through universal/custom parts. One of my biggest issues is mirrors, bar end mirrors are just shitty and due to the nature of the handlebars, I can't have traditional bar mirrors. Along with turn signals gauge cluster etc.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

1. How does the Speedometer mount to the bike? Does one need the front fairing to install the stock gauge cluster?

2. Where could i buy the fairing/windscreen/mirrors? Can I buy it as a complete set?

3. What all would I need to return the bike to stock at least in the front fairing area.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
1. How does the Speedometer mount to the bike? Does one need the front fairing to install the stock gauge cluster?

2. Where could i buy the fairing/windscreen/mirrors? Can I buy it as a complete set?

3. What all would I need to return the bike to stock at least in the front fairing area.
1. everything at the front fits on a cage (fairing stay) everthing stock bolts to that.
2. you could try E-bay or on here in the wanted section.
3. basically everything in front of the tank. remember (important) you have a gen 1 bike so require gen 1 bits. gen 2 bits are different.
I would also like to know if there are other bikes fairings that will be a straight fit. Even if they're more modern Im open to the idea. I almost prefer it honestly
nope not really practical as the modifications would be to great to be worth doing. (Honest enough).

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,723 Posts
Sorry, new members don't have access to the wanted section. You'll never find any fairings in there anyway. AirTech makes aftermarket fairings.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Actually you can mount the 2nd gen fairing and bracket and headlight on your 1st gen, will bolt right on, if you like the look better than 1st gen front fairing. 2nd gen gauges require some rewiring to make them work on a 1st gen. I have a few front fairings, 3 1st gen and one 2nd gen i can part with... but expensive to ship.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Welcome! I say first things first. Check the flyweheel for magnets that have come loose. There are many threads here on that. The only real cure is a new flywheel - that's why thew 1987-1993 bikes go for cheap. If the magnets are in place, they will soon come loose (especially after this many years, regardless of mileage). Next is the cam chain tensioner. If it has a 10mm hex bolt at the tip of it, it is junk. If it has a 12mm bolt, it is the good unit. That and a valve adjust to make sure you are not dressing a corpse.

After that, the cosmetics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts