Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some real help here on a problem that is probably a little vague. Near the end of last summer I had a bunch of work done on my bike, new air filter, new plugs and wires, carbs cleaned and tuned, pilot screws adjested. Basically, at the end of last season it was running well with no problems. Now that I'm getting it ready for another season I have trouble keeping it running. I can start it no problem with the choke on, and it'll run for a long time, but it just dies when i take off the choke even when the engine is plenty warm. I did a vacuum test on the carbs and they were out of synch, but I can't synch them at idle because the engine won't idle without the choke on. I know that by now I have made the problem worse by trying to synch the carbs and set the idle, but any help would be so greatly appreciated. Shops can be so condescending to the guy who likes to do his own work. Thanks a ton dudes.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Classic case of plugged pilot jets.

Pull the carbs remove the pilot jets and clean them till you can see light through them.

FOG

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Ok then don't do it

FOG

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, I'm just asking if it were possible that it were anything else causing the problem. I'm just bitching a little, I feel Im entitled, I've had a bad week.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Ok you asked for professional help, I gave it to you, do you expect me to change my recomendations? or if you want a second opinion , stick around.

To get the pilot jet out: slip the carbs from the rubber sleeves and let them dangle by the cables. Take off the bottoms and the floats and remove the pilot jets (not the mains ) and clean them. all else should be OK.

FOG

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I only need to do the pilot jets? and what's the best way to get the float bowls filled again after having them dismantled. I've found before that just trying to start it normally pretty well drains the battery by the time they get full. Is there an easier way to fill up the bowls?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Take the small vacuum hose of the left carb that goes to the gas valve. Suck on it for a minute. It opens the petcock without the motor running and will fill the carbs. If you've got a Mity-Vac that will work too. So will a co-operative gir...... never mind.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My advice is to listen to FOG.

Also if you have not done it already install an inline fuel filter between petcock and carbs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FOG, thank you for the diagnosis. My pilots were visibly encumbered. I ran through 'em with carb cleaner and then blew them out with air. There was visibly more passage clearance. I'm sorry if I sounded like I didn't respect your opinion before, not at all what I meant. Last time I cleaned my carbs it was not such a good memory, but this time went much smoother. I haven't started it up yet but I will post more results when I do. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all. I'm having the same problem and need to take out the jets and clean the carbs.

I have no idea how to do this :( Any links to pictures or a guide? I have a '96 EX-500. I have a copy of the Clymer 1987-1993 EX500 manual and can't seem to find it in there. Can this manual be used for my bike?

Also, i looked at the window showing the oil level. I did an oil change about 300 km (2 months) ago and it's black. This happened when I first bought the bike. There was rust in the gas tank some of that rust got into the float valve, kept it open and gas kept going through. I was told that the gas mixed into the oil and therefore, i needed an oil change. Is this the case? BTW, the tank was relined so there is no ruse build up anymore and I did put in fuel stabilizer during the winter.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
sibermage said:
Anyone? Need some help pls :-[
To get the pilot jet out: slip the carbs from the rubber sleeves and let them dangle by the cables. Take off the bottoms and the floats and remove the pilot jets (not the mains ) and clean them. all else should be OK.

Add a fuel line filter and back flush the line to the tank.

FOG

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
As to the Carbs, Yes
FOG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts