Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I've attempted to remove the front wheel. Discovered that the right axe nut is stripped. Tried to loosen the left side, but it won't budge (in fact, I broke my hex key its so tight). Since the six sided hole in the sleeve is supposed to be 11mm, I'm guessing previous owner must have used something else. :mad: I thought about going to a 12mm, but don't have much hope that will work.

Any suggestions for getting the thing out? I really need some good advice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
um... You're talking about the axle here, so i'm going to tell you that it IS a 12mm Hex, and that there are pinch bolts that hold both the Nut and the axle in place on the underside of each fork.

You did loosen those, right? if not, well that explains why they were so tight...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the pinch bolts are out. Funny, I asked a question yesterday about the size of that bolt, and the answer was 11mm. In fact the 11mm hex bit I bought earlier today fit like a glove in the left side bolt. If you're right, and I don't doubt you, that would certainly explain why the 11mm bit slipped.

Are you sure its 12mm, because that would be great.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. You were right. I guess the 11mm only appeared to fit the left side. I bought a 12mm this evening, it fit like a glove and I got the wheel off.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Now I'll go over to the other post and put on an addendum to let people know its really a 12mm and not an 11mm.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
i only ever had the 12 MM. figured the pinch bolt would keep the "nut" (or whatever) in place as i turned the axle out, and it did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts