Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I am new to the forum and a new owner of a 2009 with only 137 miles. Although this is not my first EX500. I had a brand new one back in '93 and sold it too soon. Story goes on this one, the owner bought it for his son, he laid it down and scratched the left exhaust and I am guessing his leg and decided he was done with it. The father kept the bike stored, occasionally starting the bike. When I found the craigslist ad, I drove over immediately. Everyone else just made him PayPal offers over the phone. Older gentleman, so he didn't trust them and since I was the only one to show up, he made me a very good deal. It pays to meet someone in person. I put it on a trailer the next day and took it home. I am going to do a bunch of maintenance before I give it a good ride. Got the new plates today too!

My details...
Other bikes in my garage: 2005 Harley 1200 Custom, 2001 Honda Rebel

·
Super Moderator
6,115 Posts
Nice looking EX.
I would encourage you to browse through our Maintenance and How-To forums.
Something for everyone****

Basic Maintenance
How-To's / FYI

·
Registered
148 Posts
Looks Great & WELCOME!!! I had a 800 mile bike like yours and the water pump was shot, same deal - it was flipped over at 800 miles and parked for the rest of its life, only difference was that one was free LOL. PeAcE

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
a frackin' time capsule there!

Not mentioned as yet....11 year old tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a frackin' time capsule there!

Not mentioned as yet....11 year old tires.
Yes, original tires with the nubs still on them. Since it was stored indoors, they were not exposed the the UV's which is a major cause in breaking them down over time. Regardless, I'll will be replacing them. Any good suggestions? I am mostly going to be cruising around the back roads of Tennessee. I put Shinko tires on my Harley and have been very satisfied.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Welcome! Don't know if anyone runs bias tires on their second generation ('94-'09) EXs, but Bridgestone just updated their classis Battlax BT45 tire into the BT46.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I'm running Shinkos. Went cheap for the season to prioritize money in other areas of the bike. They have been sufficient, I'm not a sport bike rider by history, so I can't comment on the actual grip and feel others may describe. I started on cruisers and this is my first "Sport" bike. I'm excited to try Michelins in a few years, but these are definitely doing the job without any complaints.

·
Registered
109 Posts
+1 on the shinkos, I have those on right now, sticky, cheap, probably wont last more than 5 or 6k miles, but thats probably 2 years for me. When I burn up the shinkos I'm gonna give the michelins a shot.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Don't knock the Shinko's!!! I've used them many times and will continue to do so! Unless you're seriously riding a track they are really good tires. And you can't beat the prices!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts