Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to get a new battery. I can't say I took very good care of the OEM battery, it ran out of water twice. So started looking on the net, I wanted a battery that would drop in with no mods and was maintenance free. Found a site www.batterystuff.com and followed the tabs. Found a Power Sonic battery that is maintenance free, $54 with free shipping. Ordered the battery and installed it. Fits right in no mods.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm in the same boat. When I removed my 3 year old battery for storage I noticed major oxidation on the positve terminal. The levels were good but in trying to clean the terminal with water and baking soda, it just kept spewing acid, so I figure there is a leak. I'm interested in a maintenance-free battery from a Canadian source.

R

·
0 Posts
Save me the google search and define a "maintenance-free" battery please!

Does that mean you never need to add to the fluids, or don't need to trickle charge it or something? Or do they just not corrode as easily?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Royson said:

Does that mean you never need to add to the fluids, or don't need to trickle charge it or something? Or do they just not corrode as easily?
It's a sealed unit. You don't need to add any fluids but you still need to charge it.

R

·
0 Posts
My riders training course instructers repeated that sentence a million times during my weekend course. I wanted to....injure...them.

R

·
0 Posts
Royson said:

I just recently bought a battery too. The stock one was still OK, but I ride year round, and the stock one almost didn't start several times last winter. Never could find the CCA rating for stock but I'm pretty sure this one is higher. http://www.ebatteriestogo.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EBTG&Product_Code=12V14L-B
AGM batteries are supposed to be better all around.

Rich

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
So what are these new gel-pack batteries some bikes come stock w/ nowadays?

Small, lighter, more powerful, less maintenance, and cheap (HA!)...
anyone have experience w/ such? (Maybe it was a dream?)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Article on batteries saying water-filled batteries aren't up to the latest competition at:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-battery/
Many article via hot tab (?) on that site. In part, it says...

"Gel & AGM Batteries: What are gel batteries - aka gell or gell cell batteries? Gel batteries use a thickener in the liquid electrolyte rather than water in the cells. They're similar to AGM, or advanced glass mat batteries. Gel batteries must be charged on a trickle charger rather than a fast automotive charger. In my experience, the trickle chargers like the Battery Tender work fine for gell or AGM batteries. Both gel and AGM batteries work much better in a motorcycle application because they can withstand vibration better than water filled batteries. It's my understanding that they also hold up better under a deep discharge."

A 2000 review in a BMW:
http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/westco.html

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
One of the things I first bought for the bike when it was purchased this year was a new battery. The old one was fried and would NOT hold a charge. I didn't wanna deal with the water levels etc... So I went a bought a gel battery. It was a bit more expensive than a regular one, but knowing what a gel battery is, I knew it was a good choice. now all I have to do it get the rest of the parts for the bike to get it on the road, lol.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Brand of gel battery? Dimensions & weight? Website w/ info?
Price? ???

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just checked out the the battery at this link:
http://www.batterystuff.com/power-sports-battery/PTX14AHL-BS.html
and it seems to be a pretty good deal - canadian tire is askign 70-80$ (cant remember exactly) for the conventional battery, Id rather go maintenance free. Also they have a "smart" trickle charger on there for 47$ also. What do you guys do with ur batteries over the winter? Do you let it sit inside, or do you use a smart charger or what?

David

·
Registered
221 Posts
The supplier in your link is in Oregon. I'd guess they only ship batterys to the 48 contiguous states. Also that is U.S. $. Not such a great deal on the charger for sure. (I'm guessing you are CDN with the CT reference)

The best advice is to remove your battery and store it inside. Add distilled water to the cells if needed. Hook it up to a smart charger, (remove the cell caps) and thats it.
I bought a Yuasa Smart Shot 900 Battery Charger/Maintainer last fall for $39.00 CDN at a dealer and its the bee's knees.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Would it be better to just loosen the cell caps rather than take them off?
The idea being to reduce the chance of dirt, sawdust, mousie poops & such getting in.
It would still allow pressure to escape. ???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts