Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm the new owner of a '00 in great condition. I am moving from a Ninja 250, so I've noticed several things which are quite different compared to my old bike. I'm wondering if you can tell me if this is normal or there's something wrong:

- Shifting is not very smooth. I find it sort of "clunks" into gear, and its quite audible. Compared to the 250 where it was a fairly smooth, this is much rougher.

- There is a lot of vibration in my mirrors and windshield. When idling, the mirrors are constantly shaking so I cannot get a clear, still picture of what's behind me.

- There's also a buzzing sound at various speeds -- I figured this is probably something loose somewhere, but I'm not sure. I've only had the bike for a day.

I bought the bike from a dealer. It came safetied and tuned, so I'm assuming anything obviously wrong with the bike they would have mentioned, but I really don't know. If any other 500 owners here have had similar experiences, please let me know so I'm not led to think somethings wrong with the bike. Other than that, this bike is a blast (and fast) compared to the 250. Thanks!

·
Registered
722 Posts
mine shifts smooth, and I don't have any vibrations on my mirrors, though my cheapo fender eliminator does vibrate. no buzzing here but I have aftermarket exhaust so I might not be hearing it. check your fairing bolts that might be the problem?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Identify the keyword(s) to each question, then go to homepage & enter the word(s) into the search windoe (upper right of screen).

My '05 doesn't have any major mirror shake... so maybe some fairing/mirror fasteners are loose or missing... maybe even the fairing support frame is loose.

Shifting... experts will respond soon. In the meantime, some members write that the bike shifts much better with after a quality oil/filter change. I like the WalMart SuperTech ST7317 filter for $3. The forums here taught me that the oil is used by the engine, tranny & clutch... so 3,000 mile changes are commonly recomended.
Shell Rotella T, reg or synthetic, is one of a few top oils. SEARCH will bring a good education.

Shake & vibration might also improve after the pilot jet & airbox mods. Use regular gas, not premium, and add a gas filter.

Glad you find the EX-500.com site! Welcome.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Identify the keyword(s) to each question, then go to homepage & enter the word(s) into the search windoe (upper right of screen).

My '05 doesn't have any major mirror shake... so maybe some fairing/mirror fasteners are loose or missing... maybe even the fairing support frame is loose.

Shifting... experts will respond soon. In the meantime, some members write that the bike shifts much better with after a quality oil/filter change. I like the WalMart SuperTech ST7317 filter for $3. The forums here taught me that the oil is used by the engine, tranny & clutch... so 3,000 mile changes are commonly recomended.
Shell Rotella T, reg or synthetic, is one of a few top oils. SEARCH will bring a good education.

Shake & vibration might also improve after the pilot jet & airbox mods. Use regular gas, not premium, and add a gas filter.

Glad you find the EX-500.com site! Welcome.
Jason said:
mine shifts smooth, and I don't have any vibrations on my mirrors, though my cheapo fender eliminator does vibrator. no buzzing here but I have aftermarket exhaust so I might not be hearing it. check your fairing bolts that might be the problem?
Hasta agree with both here . Only thing i can add is on the mirrors vibrating so bad is to also check if the rubber that goes between the mirror and fairing is still there or is still in good shape (its purpose is to kill vibration).

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Well... he might be meaning three effects of vibration...
visual- the mirrors, audible- like a rattle or buzz, and feel- through the seat or grips.

What would loose motormount bolts do?
Tool pack under the seat could be buzzing.
Fairing/tank screws or rubber insulation loose/missing...

etc.

D

·
0 Posts
- I've got smooth shifting (I think). I've only ridden a 250 at the MSF and my bike, but it seems to shift just fine.

-My mirrors vibrate heavily, but not when idling. When I'm going down the road it's a tad difficult to make out things behind me.

-I get a buzzing noise around 5k rpms, but I'm pretty sure it's because the engine matches the natural frequency of what the plastic vibrates at so it just amplifies it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have an 03 and can tell you about some experiences that are similar to yours.

I have never experienced the mirror shake to bad but i usually turn my head and look behind me unless i'm sitting at a light and idle. That may be why I haven't seen that.

I have a buzzing sound that comes from the windscreen usually between 4-6k rpms. I tried to track this down and only came up with 1 conclusion. Having found a loose whatever kinda nut they are called I went and purchased new ones to completely reattach the windscreen. Having said that I first tried just replacing the loose one as others were tight. It wouldn't tighten any more than the old one. So i loosened them all and tried to tighten them evenly. The fairing just won't let it. I always, after several attempts, ended up with one of the 2 lower nuts fairly loose. There is a little gap always on one side of the fairing at the windscreen. I just guess it's the way it is. That is what would contribute to possibly a buzzing sound and vibration in the windscreen.

As far as the tranny being clunky. I'm no expert but I will relay personal experiences. It was fairly smooth when I purchased it. It did "clunk" if you will every so often. I bought woodcraft rearsets and installed them. I guesstimated on the **** linkage amount. It worked but was a lot harder and "clunkier" to shift. I did further adjustments and it got fairly smooth again just as it was stock. Maybe you could try playing the the shift linkage?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
It's a new to you bike. 8)

These tend to vibrate a bit up to about 3000 RPM's. After that, they smooth out nice. They also shouldn't be ridden under 3000 anyway. The shift clunking might just be you're not used to it yet and aren't matching shift and RPM well. That's common when riding a bike that you're not used to. Ride it a little and give it and you a chance.

Maybe a swing by the dealer to have the throttle and clutch adjustment checked would be a good precaution. It should only take a minute to check and not much more than that to adjust if it needs it. Also should not be at a charge if required because they should have been right when delivered.

One thing that would seem unrelated but can aggravate clunky shifting is excess throttle play. Check that with the engine off. The throttle needs a small amount of free play but no more than a 1/8". If that play is excessive it makes throttle matching hard to do. Surprisingly so. :)

Probably just need a little time to get used to it. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's quite possible to systematically eliminate mechanical components that could cause vibration, if you have some measure of engineering prowess. But that can be overly involved. I'd say make sure you're idle isn't set too low, I think it should be around 1200 RPM +/- 50 (don't quote me). If you have vibration problems when at speed, check if it always happens at the same engine revs in different gears, if so, you've eliminated anything that's not moving at that RPM. I'm not much for the transmission yet, so I can't say I know about the shifting problems. Also, as some one already said, make sure your fairings and what not are all adequately tightened.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 05 mirrors vibrate hard when idling; I can’t see clearly in the rear view mirrors until getting the engine rpm up. (Gives me an excuse to rev it at a stop!)

To stop the rattle at 5k RPM take some shiny black vinyl hose (home depot garden section) wedge it in-between your LOWER fairing and the radiator on the clutch side. That stopped the vibrations for me.

-Gagi

·
Registered
94 Posts
Let me have a go at your questions.

Clunking gears, I have an 04 and the only clunk I get in the gears is when I'm idling in Neutral and then pull in the clutch and drop it into 1st gear. (that's not really clunking, but you could call it that) other than that, she shifts smooth, up and down.

I agree with the former post that a good oil and filter will go a long way to making a gearbox quiet.

Rattling mirrors and windscreen huh ? are you sure it isn't a Harley ? ( just kidding) if your getting a rattle, a buzz and mirror shaking, I would say there's a hard part loose on the faring. Ask the dealer to look at it, they may have taken the faring off to work on the bike or the previous owner may have taken it off and put it back on wrong. The faring mounts have slots and tabs that need to be located on either one side of the mounts or the other side. It's possible it's just put on wrong.

Lastly, it's nice to hear you like the bike, I think Kawasaki did a great job designing the 250 and the 500 !

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had my EX for a season. Regarding the clunky shifting, I've never had an issue demonstrating that. Occasionally ghosting, perhaps, but not clunky. The mirrors are constantly vibrating on my bike. I almost NEVER use them, anyways. So to me, it's a moot point. I think it's primairy due to the light weight of the bike. Occasionally, I get the same buzzing. But upon many inspections, I've never found anything abnormal. I chalk it up to the plastic panels vibrating off the metal frame.

Remember: When it doubt, you could always see another mechanic for a second opinion.

·
Registered
152 Posts
After removing my front fairing to put in flush mount signals, I noticed something that was probably contributing to my 'buzz' problems. There was (and still is) a piece of thin, sticky, rubber attached to the fairing where it meets the black plastic by the handlebars while on the bike (on both left and right side). After I saw this, I took the bike for a quick spin in the neighborhood and when stopped and idle, I pressed down where the 'sticky' rubber was supposed to be meeting the plastic and this nearly eliminated the buzzing. I don't know if this sticky rubber comes stock or the previous owner installed it. I see what its purpose was but it wasn't functioning like it was supposed to. I suspect this is one of the places to put weather stripping to help eliminate buzz. Just thought I'd throw that out there so you can take a look at that particular part of the bike and assess whether this is a problem spot or not. Cheers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I own both, a ex250 and the ex500r...

When comparing the two bikes, what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. The vibration of the 500 is not excessive in itself, but compared to the 250 it is much more noticeable. The transmission on the 500 is no where near as silky smooth as the 250. (both are great bikes)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts