Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am currently searching for a Ninja 500 for my first bike. I've been scouring the classifieds and dealerships for a little while now and recently came across a bike that may be a winner. Its a 2002 with only 640 miles on it, and the person is asking $3500. Is there anything I should be leery of since the bike is a bit older and has very low miles...things that I may need to spend some money on right away such as tires, could be dry rotted or flat spotted from sitting, or getting the carbs cleaned out since they probably have some gunk in there from sitting? Anything else that may help...I have yet to see it but it is listed as in "like new" condition, never dropped. hopefully I will be able to see it this weekend.

Thanks for your help/advice in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You might not be aware but these bikes are pretty much unchanged since 1987. A bike from 1987 isn't really any older than a 2002, it's just more used. So the year the 500 was made is almost irrelevant. What does matter is mileage, condition, etc.. 600 miles is incredibly low!

Check all major components... working battery, brakes, throttle, clutch, lights, chain, engine, etc. Tires probably won't need to be changed. Carbs should be cleaned just because they can, but this isn't really something you can look for when you see the bike.

Check out this extensive guide for buying used bikes: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

·
Registered
241 Posts
hey, i just went thru the same thing, searched for a bike for 2 months, have a list of 20+ ex500..... different price, different condition, different millege.....

i guess my final decision came down to the condition of the bike and the seller..... i bought my bike from a girl, she was around my age, and when i went to see the bike, i can feel that she was genuine, was hiding nothing, all the paper was in her name, went to the dealer for maintanence... even had to spend 80 bucks to buy a new battery because it died during the winter... the bike although has 6000km on it...(its an 04)........looks very very new...... so i decided to buy it....

·
Registered
94 Posts
dhcf23 said:
2002 with only 640 miles on it, and the person is asking $3500. Is there anything I should be leery of since the bike is a bit older and has very low miles...things that I may need to spend some money on right away such as tires, could be dry rotted or flat spotted from sitting, or getting the carbs cleaned out since they probably have some gunk in there from sitting? Anything else that may help...I have yet to see it but it is listed as in "like new" condition, never dropped. hopefully I will be able to see it this weekend.

Thanks for your help/advice in advance.
A 2002 with only 640 miles could have been a learners bike, or a short ride to work, or an "only used it on the weekends when the weather was good" bike. Some people own bikes, and some people ride them!

Go look at it and if you can take cash with you. Money talks.

Last tip, go see it in full daylight and look for road rash on the mufflers, bar ends.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I went through a similar thing 2 months ago. Searched everywhere for a used 500...No luck! Finally bought a new 06. Not 30 days later, used 500's are everywhere. ::)

2002 with that low mileage jump on it. But look on KBB.com or NADA.com for pricing.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would see if you could bargain the price down.

Blue Book has it at $2965, I'd offer him $3,000 and have the cash in hand. I know it's a low mileage bike, but since it has been sitting for some time, he probably wants to get rid of it anyhow, it's not like it's his darling. Additionally, it will more than likely need a bit of work before she's up to snuff. Carbs would need a cleaning, new battery perhaps, check the tires, oil change, other fluids (coolant, brake, etc) might be optional, but it'd be good to put fresh stuff in.

Last year I snagged a great deal on a 2000 Ninja 250 for $1,800. It had 93 miles on it. The guy rode it for 90 miles and it scared the hell out of him, had it garaged since.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Read my piece in the FAQ section.

FOG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts