Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was adjusting my chain last night (cleaned and lubed it too), and I noticed that my rear sprocket was missing a tooth, and my chain is just stretched enough that it would warrant a new one.

I did a search and I found this link:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...afCatId=41507&catId=415&store=Main&mmyId=5993

seems kinda pricey to me, i remember pricing it out a few years back and the chain and sprocket was less about $70, the price couldn't have doubled in less than 3 years.

Any ideas on where I could get a cheaper chain and sprocket? I don't want to change the gearing or a super light aluminum gear either, just a stock replacement will do.

oh yeh the original chains and sprocket lasted me 2500 miles is this good?

JK, they lasted 19006 miles until today

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
that seems about right for a complete sprocket replacement kit. $70 sounds about right for just a rear sprocket, even a few years back...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok next question is can I ride the bike missing a tooth or 2 until I get the new final drive kit this weekend.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I just bought an ebay variety Chain AND sprocket set. total cost, shipped to my door ias about $85.

eBay Auction #200115735509

It will arrive sometime thursday, hopefully to be installed by the weekend. Im always nervous about buying parts from ebay, but have only had one problem, and that was a lying SOB of a seller. my adivce, dont ever buy used, only new/remanned from ebay.

i don't think i would ride without a tooth. just seems unsafe. I don't wanna know what happens when a chain flys off a bike!

·
Registered
496 Posts
its a KMC chain, and JT sprockets...i have no clue.

I had the dealer install it (they were doing the tires, and i said hell with it..), and i JUST now got a call, saying the front sprocket is wrong?! once i get all the info, ill contact the seller, as well as post up on here so you guys dont have the trouble.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i wish i could've seen it (better visual learner), but the front sprocket was wrong because of something to do with the raised edge. I guess the tech couldn't get it on all the way because of it..im not really sure, but the rear sprocket fits, and the chain does too (it looks wider than the one that was on!?)

·
Registered
496 Posts

this is the image directly from the sellers link. BUT, it is the image from the gen 1 chain & Sprockets auction. i think he sent me the wrong one..im waiting on his reply.

i havent taken off the chain guard yet, but does anyone have a picture of the correct sprocket? btw, the front sprocket shown is the one i got.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 2nd gen sprocket doesn't have the 2 holes on the sides of the sprocket... Without taking it off I cant tell you anything else.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hrm.... I'm a bit nervous here! I ordered the same thing from E-bay about the same time as you. The thing showed up in my mailbox yesterday but I wasn't able to get the package as I got home late and the office in my apt. was closed.

I'll be a bit miffed if I can't ride this weekend. I'll try to post up tonight to let you know once I get to the package.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just came back from my local kawi dealership, I bought the stock toothed chain and sprocket kit that they were selling, and threw in a set of brakes.

The chain kit cost $131.35
the front brakes cost $36.95
the rear brakes cost $31.95

then they gave me a discount equal to that of the tax (basically tax free), total price was $200.25

Plus the guy let me have a bottle of chain lube that had the plastic cap cracked for free. I think I made out fairly good today.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine appears to be identical to the one in the photo as well. I just got home and opened the package.

I don't have a garage to do the swap in so I had planned on taking it to my mechanic tomorrow AM. I'm hoping that I can still get this to work, but am pretty worried now.

I do have a 1st Gen so maybe they aren't swap-able?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just to update, it seems that i got the right parts as they're all installed and running good.

My parts look just like the photo, but now that I know what i'd be shopping for I could've saved a few bucks by not going thru e-bay.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got my chain and sprocket kit in today and changed it. The front sprocket that is shown looks identical to the one in the picture.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now the sprocket I had on the biek and the one I just got are different, the one I just got is 41 teeth, what is stock?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts