Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You don't live too far away from me, unless of course you travelled a very long way to ride Blackhawk Farms.

I would love to let the 996 off the leash there for a day, but I don't have the leathers. Swapped over to more comfortable (for the road) fabric gear years ago....
Blackhawk is about 2 hours north of me. Been there a couple times. It's a nice facility.

The track day organization works with a local vendor to rent leathers for a reasonable price. My first time up there I rented all the gear. I don't remember how much it was exactly, but it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Blackhawk is about 2 hours north of me. Been there a couple times. It's a nice facility.

The track day organization works with a local vendor to rent leathers for a reasonable price. My first time up there I rented all the gear. I don't remember how much it was exactly, but it wasn't too bad.
Good to know, thanks for that info. Renting leathers would be a good way to get out on the track initially. Maybe a little late this year, but something to prep for next year.

I'm in Lisle, IL....Blackhawk is about 2 hours north for me as well....

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
wrench 86, did you ever hear of clipping apexes, or just apex of a corner? Your supposed to find the fastest way around the track but making all the turnabout's as large a radius as possible. not just rid around in the middle of the road

FOG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
wrench 86, did you ever hear of clipping apexes, or just apex of a corner? Your supposed to find the fastest way around the track but making all the turnabout's as large a radius as possible. not just rid around in the middle of the road

FOG

Blackhawk has little white dots along the racing line. I generally try to hit those. At least entering and through corners. Turn 3 (big right hand sweeper after the straight) is set up in a way where you enter from about the middle of the track. First track day, everybody was swinging way to the outside and the control riders told us to look for the dots and keep to the middle of the track entering that turn. 🤷‍♂️ Other than that, I'm mostly trying to keep out of people's way on the passing sections.

If you've got any specific feedback, I'd be more than happy to hear it. Here's a map of Blackhawk so we're talking about the same corners:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good to know, thanks for that info. Renting leathers would be a good way to get out on the track initially. Maybe a little late this year, but something to prep for next year.

I'm in Lisle, IL....Blackhawk is about 2 hours north for me as well....
I'm pretty much straight south of Rockford. Down in the Illinois Valley region.

I'd recommend doing a track day there. Motovid is a good organization, the control riders are friendly and it doesn't seem too bad price wise. I can also tell you, from personal experience, that they have medical staff standing by who are courteous and professional. 🙃

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got a chance to dig into the bike a little bit today. Not sure where exactly to put this so I guess I'll tack it onto this thread:

A Ninja 300 rear wheel is a direct swap for the 500.

I found one other thread that mentions this in passing, but I would like to say it conclusively: It's a direct swap. The 300 rotor is slightly smaller so you're going to have to switch that over. But otherwise it bolts right up. The 1/2" wider wheel allows a greater selection of tires including the Dunlop Q3+ in 150 size which is what my 300 has on it now. The inboard holder for the chain guard needs to be removed or bent out of the way for tire clearance and the guard itself likely needs to be modified (I didn't check). But it fits otherwise.

Something else I noticed is that someone installed an inline fuel filter. I hear that these are a problem? Should I remove it? The fuel line was run along the frame an then under the tank support cross-brace. Is this the normal routing? Or should I shorten it to drop directly down to the carbs? Haven't had a problem with it running. Honestly, it smells quite rich. But that could just me being used to things with a catalyst on them.

One more thing: Anybody know where I can get a purely mechanical petcock? Or if I can modify the stock one to not need manifold vacuum to open?

Mods: Let me know if I should be starting new threads for any of this stuff. I'm trying to not clog up the other categories with possibly redundant threads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put a really specific year SV650 shock on my EX. The SV spring rates change throughout the years, I think I got an 03' which has like a 410 spring (the shock with the white spring). Don't quote me on that though!

It's much better than stock for my weight and has lifted the rear an inch.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
As to rear shock, have a look at the '99-'03(?) ZR7S. Asixde from the cheap OEM Ninja 300 unit, it is the only shock that will bolt on with no mods or interference. The top mount is 2mm narrower, so a couple of thin washers and it's good. It's the right length and has rebound adjustment and something like 6 position preload. Spring is 450 lbs/in IIRC. The shock links will do most of the ride height for you anyway. You should be able to find one for $40-$50 on you-know-where.

Reactions: Wrencher86

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
It's always a mystery to me, why guy's think a junk shock that somebody else rejected is going to work wonders for their EX. trust me they ain't any better. it may have some bells and whistles that the stocker didn't, but in reality unless your shock is calibrated for you and how you ride, it won't be any better.
unless you are expert level racer, you prolly can't tell the difference .
It's pretty though

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It's always a mystery to me, why guy's think a junk shock that somebody else rejected is going to work wonders for their EX. trust me they ain't any better. it may have some bells and whistles that the stocker didn't, but in reality unless your shock is calibrated for you and how you ride, it won't be any better.
unless you are expert level racer, you prolly can't tell the difference .
It's pretty though
Personally, I'm just looking for a more appropriate spring rate. At ~185lbs sans gear, the stock spring is pretty useless. The shock itself is also 26 years old at this point and I have doubts about its integrity overall. Something newer, with a stiffer spring can't possibly be worse. And it's a lot easier and cheaper than tracking down the adapter collars so I can put the right spring on the original unit.

But you're right: It probably won't make much of a difference at the level I ride at. It's just a cheap mod that I don't mind spending the money on. I'll probably spend more on stickers or paint. :) 🤷‍♂️

21 - 30 of 30 Posts