Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight, for everyone who has the ex500 and wants a new exhaust READ THIS!!! I rocked the V and H 2-1 system and i have no complaints. The hardest part was getting the new headers on, and all that took was a little bit of wiggling to get both to fit on right without taking the radiator off. Trust me putting this system on is a piece of cake. As far as cutting the fairing/ putting the centerstand back on, dont worry about it, its nothing. This whole job should take you about 2.5 hours assuming you get the headers on in a jiffy (thats the only thing that can potentially take any amount of time). When I got this system rocking, i warmed up the bike (its 15 degrees in the chi-town suburbs) and reved up the beast, i had my neighbors coming to my garage wondering WTF was going on. This system is loud compared to stock, but in IL, i doubt its enough to get you into too much trouble, and 5-0 out here have nothing better to do but pinch kids on loud exhaust and subs so you should be fine. Vance and Hines has made a quality product and im glad to rock it on my bike. The whole thing ships in 2 pieces aside from the center stand bracket and hardware and was a sinch to install. If you have any questions, PM me and ill give you a hand where i can.

·
Registered
404 Posts
In some cases with 2 in 1 systems the pipe running under the bike to the other
side doesn't mesh w the center stand I think I''ve heard that too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kkrause said:
Did you have to lose the center stand?
V&H comes with a bracket for the center stand to rest on. I think V&H is the only brand that comes with one too, but thats just from what ive heard not what ive seen.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know I had to lose the center stand with my Muzzy and the fairing is a little tricky to put back on!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love my Vance and Hines Exhaust i couldnt ask for something as sweet as that one. Sounds great looks good, and best of all I kept the centerstand... GEE i really like that LOL

·
Registered
348 Posts
where'd you buy the V&H exhaust from? Linky?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got mine from pipecity.com Didnt jet, runs fine, little backfiring. Its got a pretty gnarly tone to it, sounds like a harley.

·
Registered
90 Posts
CerialPhreak said:
got mine from pipecity.com Didnt jet, runs fine, little backfiring. Its got a pretty gnarly tone to it, sounds like a harley.
Harley a miss....lol No jets?? check your plugs after riding a few weeks to make sure your ok! Some bike seem good others need adjustment. I adjusted the air screw out to 2 1/2 turns and that made a big difference.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Did any of you have to lose the lower fairing with the V&H?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It wont fit on like it used to, i havent dealt with mine yet, i know you have to shim it a bit and potentially cut a piece off the bottom. Im also going to get some heat wrap for insurance.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm in a sucky position. I want a 2-1 exhaust. But with the Muzzy you have to lose your centerstand, and with the V&H you have to lose the lower fairing. I don't want to lose either. What's wrong with these companies?! :mad:

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
I'm in a sucky position. I want a 2-1 exhaust. But with the Muzzy you have to lose your centerstand, and with the V&H you have to lose the lower fairing. I don't want to lose either. What's wrong with these companies?! :mad:
there's only so much you can do with a 20 year old design...

·
Registered
348 Posts
CerialPhreak said:
It wont fit on like it used to, i havent dealt with mine yet, i know you have to shim it a bit and potentially cut a piece off the bottom. Im also going to get some heat wrap for insurance.
Could you post back when you do this? Maybe include some pics as well? I'd love to get the V&H exhaust, but I'm not ready to give up the fairing!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most def, ive been meaning to get some pics up with it installed, but the weather in Chicago has been waaaaaaaaaay too nice to do anything but ride. Might tackle it this weekend since is supposed to be kinda rainy.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm anxious for pictures of this exhaust set-up. It's the cheapest 2-1 full exhaust system I've seen. If the lower fairing can be added with general ease, this'll be my first performance upgrade for my EX.
You mention some trimming will have to occur. I know this sounds like I'm asking a lot of you, but might you be able to take pictures that shows how the exhaust system conflicts with the fairing arrangement? And maybe show some angles of where you'll be trimming (I'm interested to know how extensive the fairing mod will have to be).

I'm pretty sure Chicago (along with my area) got dumped on with snow/rain, so I'm quite confident you have less time to ride and more time for this project. ;D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts