Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
So, over the past weekend, I made a little change to my bike :)

My fiance agreed to let me spend a little money on a new exhaust system to replace the scratched up one (that Kills dropped on me. I'll never let it go jerk!)

So, I found a used, but basically brand new Hindle exhaust at my local dealer for 200 bucks. Brand new it retails for 600 in Canada.

So yesterday we took off the old one, put on this one and adjusted the pilots to 2.5 turns from the base. I love this exhaust, cause I was able to keep the lower fairing with NO modifications, and I can keep the centre stand too without any issues. The sound is pretty bad-a$$ too. No more lawnmower/bag flapping in the wind for me!

And there it is!

I've got one question about it. The bike runs perfectly, from 1000 RPM all the way to 10,000 RPM, no flat spots. But, I pulled the plugs before I started and they looked like it was already running lean. So after adjusting the pilots, running the bike for about 25 minutes or so around town, and coming back, the plugs still looked lean.

But, the bike was backfiring quite a bit and the power band had no flat spots - so I would take it it's getting plenty of fuel - so why would I be running so lean?

Do the pilot screws needing further adjusting, or is there another issue? Or is there an issue? Although it's not that big a job, I'm proud my buddy (that jerk Kills) and I completed it all without ruining my bike. So if anybody can help me fine tune the lean issue that would be great!

Oh, and I'll add - the pilot screws were already opened up and adjusted when I got there - the previous owner adjusted them I guess. The one was screwed 1 3/4 turns from the base, and the other was 1 2/3 turns from the base. I know it was a very slight difference, but is there any reason for that - maybe they vibrated lose a bit?

:)

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Don't place too much credence in plug reading, it's akin to palm reading and just about as trustworthy. Todays unleaded gases just don't print themselves a fast as the old days. you'll need much more milage to "see".
If it's running good thats enough. The popping is due to the fresh air system on the top of the engine. It always did that , the stock exhaust just muffled it.

FOG

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FOG. I know you hate after market pipes, so I appreciate the response :)

Alright, I'll ride it for a few hundred kms and check them again. But it is running smooth, probably a bit smoother than it was before.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Save your energy I'll give you a comparo

Stock fart fart fart

with after market pipe FART FART FART

WFO FARTFARTFARTFARTFARTFART[/color]
FOG

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can do Knight. I'll also scream 1920's horror movies catch phrases as well (It's ALIVE!)

I'll see if my cell phone can record a decent clip, otherwise I'll borrow my buddy's camera this weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We can record something nice for the board next week when the weather gets better, Royson. Unless you want to tough out -4 weather on your bike this Friday.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know I'll tough it. But yeah, I'm sure the board doesn't wait with baited breath. (FOG certainly doesn't!)

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Ya know, I have no real objection to aftermarket exhausts. My comments are really in a way are pity for the purchasers. The EXs even firing order produces a monotones sound, that dosn't have any undertones and the cams are desinged to produce a nice spread of power, so the sound never builds to a cresendo, but just farts along either fast or slow , but always boreing.
Lastly I pity the purchasers for spending so much money for so little and poor quality to boot.

FOG

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
$300 cheap? cheap for what?, to make noise?, A couple of playing cards in the spokes should do it for the price of a deck of cards.

FOG

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
$300 is cheap for an aftermarket Slip-on that reduces weight, is aesthetically pleasing to some, and is physically cooler to the touch after a run. I've got this scar on my leg from when i accidentally brushed against it after a test ride at the dealership. It doesn't take long for the stock silencer to heat up, and can be dangerous around some folk (ie overly curious children in apartment complexes). I had to tell a kid (maybe 7 y/o) who was asking about it and almost placed his entire hand on the body of the silencer that it might not look hot, but it is hot enough to cook his breakfast.

$300 is cheap when you look at what ELSE is available for squid-cycles... $500 for a Yoshi S/O, $450 for a two brother's, $800 for an Arata $1800 for the full system, $1300 for a hamaguchi, $600 for an Arrow, Leo Vince, or Erion... $300 is cheap.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
OK slugger, I've heard of stretching a rational, but you take the cake. No WMDs in there anywhere?

FOG

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
FOG said:
OK slugger, I've heard of stretching a rational, but you take the cake. No WMDs in there anywhere?

FOG
I have reliable intel that suggests that there may be a possibility that there might in fact be WMDs in that post, however i can confirm nor deny any possibility that there aren't any either. but the intel is there...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Royson said:
Creative?
It'll sound best with a load on the engine, so be sure to get a vid of a burnout outside, one inside, maybe one in the kitchen, and one while rolling past the local police precinct. Be sure to make gestures with your clutch hand during all of them.

BTW, nice exhaust.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts