Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find anything that told me specifically in my searches which length of chain I needed, so here it goes: I am planning on going w/ a 15 tooth front sprocket and 44 tooth rear sprocket and was wondering if the stock 104 link chain length will be fine or do I need a 106 link chain. Thanks for any and all help.

Oh... and any help or suggestions on how to remove the rear wheel without a centerstand would be much appreciated as well.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Your good with stock.

FOG

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
a.lee.hagen said:
Oh... and any help or suggestions on how to remove the rear wheel without a centerstand would be much appreciated as well.
FOG set you straight on the stock size chain. If I remember correctly, any pair of sprockets in which the total number of teeth (front sprocket tooth count plus rear sprocket tooth count) is between 56 and 60 will use a 104 link chain.

I usually use a motorcycle jack if I don't trust the center stand. You can also go with a rear stand with or without a front stand if you can get one. Some guys have talked about using a come-along to a rafter in their garage and pulling it up that way (by the frame) - I've done that before when loading and unloading bikes. If all else fails, a car jack and some 2x4s will get you through, and maybe a jack stand or two (perhaps to the rear peg mounts or under the exhaust).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your help guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 90 and I had changed it from 16/42 to 15/45 and I needed to go to a 106 up from the 104. If you are 15/44 then who knows that may be able to sneak through with a 104.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
kickshift said:
I have a 90 and I had changed it from 16/42 to 15/45 and I needed to go to a 106 up from the 104. If you are 15/44 then who knows that may be able to sneak through with a 104.
Did you try it with a 104 link?

How do you like the 15/45? Is she a wheelie monster or just a little more eager to take off? I had considered going up more from the 15/42 that's on there but figured it'd just cost me gas mileage in the long run. Sorry to play 20 questions, but what kind of gas mileage are you getting, and how are the rpms on the freeway?

And welcome to the site! Just noticed that's your first post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts