Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up to get notifications of FOG's replies :) But seriously, I recently resurrected an 08 500 and have become fairly attached to it in my short period of ownership. Looks like a lot of fairly good guys on the forum willing to help out.
Its been a while since I've been a contributing member of a forum but just maybe I might make it into the fold here.
A little about me, I'm old, race motocross and woods ride in the Super senior class (50+), track day and occasionally race a 1st Gen SV or my ZX10. I ride the on the street with a collection of bikes ranging from big BMW tourers, sport tourers (FJR, Concours's RT's) and have a few modern and vintage sport bikes that date back to my first bought new 85 Ninja 9 which is still in the garage under my care,custody and control. Occasionally get out on the cruisers with my vest and bandanna wearing buddies, VTX18, a Vegas and couple other American made 2 wheeled human shaking machines and just overall love my and all motorcycles, old,new, slow, fast, big or small. Well, that's about enough for now. But, before I go, my first question.....Whats the best oil? :devilish:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Welcome! Hope you get what you are looking for from the forum! a great group of folks here.

To answer your question, where in the US are you located? It makes somewhat of a difference if you are in Arizona where its routinely in the triple digits and wide open roads where youre going forever vs in Boston where it can be much colder and you are going to be in a lot of city stop and go.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Welcome,

Be careful of your choice of oil.
Olive oil is no good, you want sunflower oil - it's far cheaper.
If you mix it 50-50 with pork lard you will have a permanent lube layer for cold starts. (+ a nice bacon odor when riding!!!)

·
Registered
715 Posts
sorry guys but why are people so flippant when it comes to oil. do you realise some noob could take you seriously !!. no.
these bike engines were designed in the early 80's to run on oil available at the time. any oil above that spec will be fine although some oils could be over spec. a simple 10/40w is more than adequate.
of course you can put whatever oil you like in it. but it's no Hayabusa so why pay $20 a litre for it when $5 a gallon oil will work just as good. just saying you know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its all good Yorkie. I was just funning with the "whats the best oil" comment in my intro. Oops :devilish:

·
Banned
4,959 Posts
No, I was NOT mocking the moderator.

I made a post and went to delete it, it wouldnt delete so I just clicked on a smiley as it was the ONLY way I could edit it.

What the hell is going on,?

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
It's not a smile emoji and it was intentional. Your post on another forum confirms that. Take some time and think about it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I don't think ANYONE was taking offense to anyone else!
Reminds me of something very recent...I joined the Ford F-150 forum and and old post was "resurrected" and I put my comments in. Well, well, well....some of the "Senior Members" proceeded to tell me to "chill out" and that it was an "old post" and another said "You should have stopped at...".

I proceeded to blast both of them. I mean, they don't want duplicate threads, yet are basically telling me to start a duplicate thread!

Lss...they immediately apologized. I sent them both a note letting them know it wasn't a very nice way to "welcome" a new member and the, since the invention of the internet that many times the "tone" of what someone posts doesn't always match the "tone" of how someone interprets the post.

I don't think anyone was intentionally giving anyone else a hard time. I enjoyed the OP as he clearly should fit right in here with his sarcasm!!! 😁😁😁

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
I don't think ANYONE was taking offense to anyone else!
Reminds me of something very recent...I joined the Ford F-150 forum and and old post was "resurrected" and I put my comments in. Well, well, well....some of the "Senior Members" proceeded to tell me to "chill out" and that it was an "old post" and another said "You should have stopped at...".

I proceeded to blast both of them. I mean, they don't want duplicate threads, yet are basically telling me to start a duplicate thread!

Lss...they immediately apologized. I sent them both a note letting them know it wasn't a very nice way to "welcome" a new member and the, since the invention of the internet that many times the "tone" of what someone posts doesn't always match the "tone" of how someone interprets the post.

I don't think anyone was intentionally giving anyone else a hard time. I enjoyed the OP as he clearly should fit right in here with his sarcasm!!! 😁😁😁
With all due respect, you don't know the whole story, or what we've been dealing with.
This has nothing to do with the op of this thread, and I regret that it played out here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts