Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old license plate bracket and turn signal mount was made out of aluminum, and bolted to my homemade under seat tray. I've been told that it bounces around alot, so I had some time today and fabricated a new bracket for the license plate. I also made a new turn signal mount which I'll post in a different thread once it gets painted and finished.

The license plate mount still needs finish painting (black), and I'm contemplating add a chain guard to it out of steel, which is the current plan. All I did was weld some 1.5" 16g steel bar to the old chain guard mount

anyway, the good stuff:

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Looks like and old Kuckelhead, from the fifties. Might get you a defective eqp. citation too.

FOG

·
Registered
59 Posts
I live in NY and am planning a mod that will require me to do something very similar to what derf has done. I have tried the AMA Database of State Motorcycle Laws http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=ny, but did not see anything related to license plate mounts. Does anyone know where I can find information on NY state laws related to mounting of motorcycle license plates?

Is it 100% legal to mount the plate vertically? Let's just say that my Cobra exhaust draws enough attention that I don't need another reason to get a ticket!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
267 Posts
I know the laws vary state to state-- in West Virginia, you just have to buy a plate where the numbers go vertically to be legal (And it has to be illuminated, of course).
Instead of looking at the MSF, try the NY DMV... that will be MUCH more useful.

Let me add too that derf is right about wanting to redo his first bracket since it was out of aluminum. My first deleted bracket was out of aluminum and after a 400 mile ride, I had stress cracked it all over and it was hanging on by a thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts