Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just bought a 500s 1990 two days ago in original condition with 33k kilometres on it. I will post photos of it in a day or two as I have taken the front end off and I am replacing the single disk with twin disks and forks from newer model.
It’s a Swiss model just imported into Ireland ( not registered here yet)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
welcome to the forum. beware of the parts you buy they may not fit without extensive modification.
the model you have is a gen 1 with 36mm diameter forks. (16in wheel) the later E model (gen 2) has 37mm diameter forks (17in wheel).
so you will need not just the brakes but the forks. wheel and triples from a gen 2 then the front mudguard won't fit the master brake cylinder needs up grading you need a brake splitter for the pipes if your getting the whole front end then you should have all parts. if not you will need to accumulate all the parts beforehand. (basically the whole front end) also if your buying used items you might just a well go the whole hog and get brake service kits. new headstock taper bearings and new fork seals. we await your photos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome to the forum. beware of the parts you buy they may not fit without extensive modification.
the model you have is a gen 1 with 36mm diameter forks. (16in wheel) the later E model (gen 2) has 37mm diameter forks (17in wheel).
so you will need not just the brakes but the forks. wheel and triples from a gen 2 then the front mudguard won't fit the master brake cylinder needs up grading you need a brake splitter for the pipes if your getting the whole front end then you should have all parts. if not you will need to accumulate all the parts beforehand. (basically the whole front end) also if your buying used items you might just a well go the whole hog and get brake service kits. new headstock taper bearings and new fork seals. we await your photos.
Hi.
I got a complete front end and I bought new bearings this afternoon, I should (fingers crossed) have it done in a day or two depending on how much free time I get.
I only noticed an hour ago that there is a leak in the right baffle, actually it’s the seam that is damaged, it has a little lip on it underneath,the previous owner said he knocked the bike over but it didn’t just fall over as underneath the silence has scuff marks, also right end of handlebar has a tare around it. I know he had a fall and slide it but he said it just fell over and I wasn’t going to get in an argument with him as I got what I wanted and at a very good price.
I will post photos when I get it finished as I have to get it registered and new registration number and plate before I can drive it.

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts

Reactions: po18guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok fair enough you seem to know what your doing. it's surprising though just how many don't.
Thanks for your reply and the information within regarding the difference in measurement and details.
I have been around a while now and on two wheels over 50 years, I am use to playing with all sorts of things, although this is the first kwacker I have owned.
Thanks again for your detailed feedback. 👍

·
Registered
913 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I believe another person from Ireland just recently signed onto the forum. You may have a riding partner close by!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum!
I believe another person from Ireland just recently signed onto the forum. You may have a riding partner close by!!!
Thanks for your welcome 👍
I wonder how many people there are on the forum from Ireland. I must look and see what part of the country they are in.
Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Love Ireland! Welcome, I was lucky enough to celebrate Fourth of July in Dubland at the Hotel Burlington years ago, and I tell you something, words can not describe the enthusiasm and fun I experienced that night and the rest of my trip. Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love Ireland! Welcome, I was lucky enough to celebrate Fourth of July in Dubland at the Hotel Burlington years ago, and I tell you something, words can not describe the enthusiasm and fun I experienced that night and the rest of my trip. Cheers
That’s great to hear, I think you are overdue a return visit as Ireland is even better now than it was years ago.
I was born just outside Dublin and I am now living a quiet life 60 miles south. The sunny southeast the call it 😀
Your welcome back anytime and I will buy you a coffee ( an Irish coffee)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hello @Digger and welcome from Virginia

1 - 12 of 12 Posts