Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 05 ex-500 that was left abandoned at a shop after a wreck years ago.

There is no damage to the frame or and structural part of the bike, but all the fairings and lights were destroyed.
I have no intention of street driving the bike, it will more or less be another toy to take drag racing on the weekends.
I know its not fast, I know other bikes are faster, I know its more fun to drive in twisties... I'm not interested.
I paid $100 for it and I rebuilt the carbs, put plugs in it, new battery. It runs, but not well I've driven it in the neighborhood to try and clear out
any old carbon but it doesnt seem to be working.

The engine will not idle, it runs very rough at idle for a few seconds and then dies. I'm running it with no air box on it
and you can see fuel spitting out of the left side carb intake. I'm thinking maybe a bent intake valve. Open to suggestions.

If I hold the throttle around 2500 it runs better and above 4500 it feels great, plenty of power.

I've never really messed with small engines or carburetors. I am a mechanic for about 10 years now. So I have
just about any tool or means necessary to repair anything, just need some knowledge on this bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you have the stock airbox, I'd put that back on. These bikes (specifically the CV carbs) are a headache on anything but the stock airbox. I had similar idling issues running with the airbox open.

If you can do a compression test and then a valve clearance adjustment, that'd help rule out your suspected bent intake valve.

Pictures of the left carb boot, specifically where it is leaking fuel from, would also help a ton.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the airbox was on it would be spitting fuel into the air box. It's coming right out the front. I'm going to get some pictures tonight. The bike it rough.

·
Super Moderator
6,197 Posts

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
The first thing a mechanic would do on a resurrection project is a compression check. dry then wet .then proceed accordingly
FOG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only reason I have not done a compression test Is because I dont have the small spark plug adapter. Not exactly a motorcycle tech.

Being that the bike ran so strong in the upper rpm I figured it wasn't necessary.

Today I tested the intake valves for leaks and they are sealed up right. Went back through the carbs and found that I forgot the orings on the idle mix screw on the offending cylinder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the orings squared away. No change.
Found a massive vacuum leak from one carb. Sealed. No change.

At idle without the air box on the vacuum slides are bouncing allowing fuel from the main jet to make an appearance at idle. I believe this is why theres so much fuel coming out of the intake.

Found out that the battery I bought is wrong. It's too big it fit in the spot in the air box. So for now. I can't install the air box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts