Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking around here for a few months. Lots of good info here. Did a search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so here comes my first post.
I bought my 05 500r last spring with 2,200 miles on it. I put another 2,200 troublefree miles on it throughout the summer. When winter came, I parked it in a warm dry place, filled the tank with Stabil, hooked up a battery tender, and waited for warm weather. It only sat for 4 months, and the battery was completely dried up. I refilled it and tried to rejuvinate it, but it wasn't holding a charge. So much for the battery tender idea. Bought a new battery, and rode it to work the next day (30 mile commute). I noticed the idle was surguing but it seemed to run ok. On the way home, I didn't think I was going to make it. The idle had gotten worse, as I had to keep hitting the throttle to keep it going. Pulling out from a dead stop was very difficult. I had to give it alot of throttle and slip the clutch to get it moving. It even backfired a few times. Once I got it moving, and kept it above 4grand, it seemed ok. But anything under that, it tries to fall on it's face. I pulled the plugs out last night, and while they're not perfect, they're not sooted or wet either. I did notice the right side plug wire was very loose fitting and had some corrosion in the boot. Am I on the right track here? I'm obviously putting new plugs in while I have the tank off. Any recomendations. I figured NGK was the plug of choice. I was surprised to see it had Densos in it from the factory. Also, is it worth trying to clean the corroded boot, or just replace them? I have no idea what they cost or how they go together. It looks like they're part of the coil?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Since your a newbie maybe you wont understand what FOG's talking about. FOG has done a write up on solutions to different problems with these bikes. Instead of him having to type the same reply over and over again he just #'s them. OK with that out of the way,he is telling you to clean the pilot jets on your carbs. There is a write up on this also. You can use the search function in the upper right hand corner of the screen to find the answer to just about any question you may have. If you need help finding something just let me know.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
I knew sombody would explain to him

FOG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I understand. My problem is I don't even know what a pilot jet looks like. I've been a gearhead since birth, but on cars not bikes. Mainly fuel injected cars, which is why me and carbs don't get along. So I can remove the carbs and open them up, but what am I looking for?
I know, I know, keep searching. ::)

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
This may help
http://members.aol.com/roundr1/CVK40.html

The pilot jets are in the float chamber to the right of the mains down in deep counterbores, as a result often over looked. They are very tiny and plug easilly. you must get them out and hold them to the light. to be sure they are open.

This a a critcal step often not done. These jets feed a small amount of fuel to the Idle circut whih has three progressive holes , that are uncovered by the carb butterfly. the flow is further regulated but the pilot screws. so it's a very small amount of fuel were talking about here.

FOG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. That does help. Now that I know what a pilot jet looks like, and where it's at, I guess all I have to do now is dig in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
And while on the subject of Stabil... I used to (and still do) recommend that riders use the stuff when the bike will be stored, but what I have added to that is-When using Stabil, do not just pop it in the tank, cover her up and walk away. you must run the motor a bit to get the Stabil from the tank and into the carbs (and jets) so that it will work.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
cstem said:
And while on the subject of Stabil... I used to (and still do) recommend that riders use the stuff when the bike will be stored, but what I have added to that is-When using Stabil, do not just pop it in the tank, cover her up and walk away. you must run the motor a bit to get the Stabil from the tank and into the carbs (and jets) so that it will work.
I thought you needed to drian the carbs when it was going to be sitting overtime to keep deposits from blocking them?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
I could, The numbers thing was somthing of a joke , the Idea was to get the same information requested over abd over into the FAQ section.

FOG

Z

·
0 Posts
cstem said:
As Cstem wrote... You have to put Stabil in the tank and then go riding for a while to get the stabilzed fuel throughout the fuel system. I add Stabil when I'm doing my last (late fall) oil change and getting her ready for her winter nap. I add Stabil, ride for a while, then change the oil while the oil is still warm and do the other fall maintenence stuff. Then nappy time. This has worked well for me for years (20+). I've never had a bike get a gunked up pilot circuit. I do the exact same for all my engines in the late fall - ZX11 cycle, Seadoo, boat, push mower, lawn tractor and never a problem starting them in the spring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problem is fixed, and the bike is running well again. I figured I would replace the plugs first since I already had the old ones out. I also cleaned the corrosion from that one plug wire. There was alot of corrosion. Enough that I could scratch a small screwdriver around inside the boot, and dump a small pile of white/green corrosion into my hand. That must've been all it was. It started right up and idled perfect. I've put ~150 miles on it since, and it seems ok now. I guess I got lucky.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts