Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I bought a 1993 ex 500 today. I haven't ridden since I was a bit younger, but my husband rides a zx-14 and I was tired of looking at his helmet ;) The bodywork on the bike we got is a bit scratched, but I was planning on adding my own as I re-learn how to ride. Does anyone have any advice on replacement bodywork? I was reading about the bike and am a bit confused... was there a change somewhere and/or can I get newer bodywork on my older bike? Thanks in advance!

Emily

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hello and welcome aboard. Replacement bodywork is expensive, with OEM upper fairings running anywhere between $500-$600 and fiberglass running around $200.

There are two different version, the 1987-1993 and the 1994-2007 (there is a rumored change coming for the 2008 model year). The mechanical changes were to the wheels/brakes (front caliper switched sides, diameter went from 16" to 17" and the rear brake went from drum to disc). The bodywork changed as well, with one piece sides on the tail (replacing the two piece of the earlier models) and some visual changes to the upper fairing. From what I understand, the newer stuff will not interchange, though I suspect one could make it work with some tweaking. I believe the mirrors are different between the model changes as well.

Mine is a 1992 model, and my fairing is cracked as well. Currently, I am attempting some repairs. Not sure how nice they will look when I'm done. I may be looking at the fiberglass fairings in a few weeks, or taking everything off and going naked (aka, streetfighter). Of course, I may trash the whole thing as I relearn how to ride.

Robert

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Here's what I did with mine when I crashed it :

I removed the front faiting, extended the handlebars and added some crash cages on the side of the engine I also changed the instrument cluster last weekend.

On their way are the cheapo frame sliders http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,984.0.html
New paint for the body and the exhaust
and a transmission that have only 1 neutral..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, it went from this (with seat recover and ebay gas tank):

To this:

The EX is the one on the right, just so you know ;) The date on the lower pic is wrong, pic was taken last week.

Mike/Emily

1 - 5 of 5 Posts