Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought all the parts to do an oil change for my 2006 ex500, but im stumped on how to do it. i located the oil plug which is quite obvious, but where is the filter? i bought my bike and the previous owner didnt have the manual, so im a lil screwed, but the local shop charge 125 an hour for labor.... ok i bought the parts and oil for about 40 bucks.

also, next question, how often should i get my valves adjusted? it had maintenance at 100 miles, and im up to 4k now (i love to ride).
i know an oil change is a lil overdue, but how about the valves? anyone know a place where i can purchase a manual for my bike thats not 100 bucks?

thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Try to get the lower cowling off, the filter will jump at you ;)

For the manual, I have the Clymer's and it does the job for me, any kawi dealer or moto shop should be able to find you one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rawr im back! ok changed the filter, and so far ive put 4 quarts of oil in my bike and i still dont see anything at the fill line... is this normal? i got two more quarts, but not gonna add them until i get some feedback.... i been pouring it in the cap on the riht side, the black plastic one that twists off. is this correct? i knwo alot of oil came out, but 4 quarts seems like alot to me for a bike. lemme know! and thanks forthe earlier info!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is the bike on the centerstand or jack? or is it on the sidestand? If it's on the side that will cause the amount of oil in the pan and the amount you see in the sight index to be different.

This is a simple question, and I'm not implying you don't know what you're doing, trust me, I do stupid things all the time while performing maintenance on my bike.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
You're going to have to drain some out. You've over filled it. the amount of oil to install when replacing the oil filter is 3.2 US quarts. don't worry about seeing it in the oil level window. If you've installed 3.2 quarts of oil, it's there.

I don't like using that window as a reference guide to how much oil to install. If the book says 3.2, drain the old stuff, plug the pan, and install 3.2. done. no need to verify, just use the bottles. personally, i wouldn't worry overly about the .2 either just like i don't worry about the .1 on my CBR. It's cheaper to buy 3 than 4.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
grr guess il have to take some out. ya it was on the sidestand too which might explain why i dont see anything. im 5'6 so its hard to get it on the center stand by myself. but 3.2 got it, time to measure our .8 of a quart of oil. thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
like i said, i don't bother with the .2 unless you are burning a ton of oil. if it's every 3000 that you're doing, 3 quarts will be fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
kwazymodow said:
ya it was on the sidestand too which might explain why i dont see anything.
I'd say that definitely explains why you don't see anything :) You just need to get the right technique down on putting the bike on it's center stand, I'm 5'5" and about 125lbs, and have no problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha. ill try some more.

so i changed the oil, but the engine seems to be running loud. which leads me to my next question... how often should i get the valves adjusted?

i know my bike has to get its valves adjusted every so many miles, just not sure how many miles....

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
kwazymodow said:
ha ha. ill try some more.

so i changed the oil, but the engine seems to be running loud. which leads me to my next question... how often should i get the valves adjusted?

i know my bike has to get its valves adjusted every so many miles, just not sure how many miles....
Use the search box up top . Search for "Periodic Maintenance".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i changed the oil, and my bike is still runnin a lil rough... it sounds louder than before..... any clues or advice as to what it could be??

its a 2006, at about 4400 miles, oil change, maintenance isnt due til 5000, etc... im confused.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no, honestly i dont know how lol. this is my first bike. and bad gas may be right, im a ride to the beach tomorrow, so ill fil it up at a good gas station and see if anything changes.

how do i check my plugs? if its simple, ill do it myself .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts