Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, i'm a member over at ninja250.com and recently got a 500R
So i bought this 2000 NInja with 1K miles off ebay that wasn't started in years and of course the carbs were gummed up.
Pulled the carbs, cleaned everything.
First trouble i'm having is the throttle cables, after i installed them back on the carbs throttle grip doesn't snap back and it's actually really hard to turn it. What would cause cables to behave like this???
Also, fuel is not leaving the gas tank at all when i'm cranking the motor, i removed the tank and filled up the float bowls with fuel through the tube and it's still not going anywhere. I think the problem is with vacum, the fuel is simply not getting to the carbs, it's not even leaving the petcock. I checked all the vacum hoses and everything is fine.
ANY help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Vlad.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Hey there, i'm a member over at ninja250.com and recently got a 500R
So i bought this 2000 NInja with 1K miles off ebay that wasn't started in years and of course the carbs were gummed up.
Pulled the carbs, cleaned everything.
First trouble i'm having is the throttle cables, after i installed them back on the carbs throttle grip doesn't snap back and it's actually really hard to turn it. What would cause cables to behave like this???
Also, fuel is not leaving the gas tank at all when i'm cranking the motor, i removed the tank and filled up the float bowls with fuel through the tube and it's still not going anywhere. I think the problem is with vacum, the fuel is simply not getting to the carbs, it's not even leaving the petcock. I checked all the vacum hoses and everything is fine.
ANY help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Vlad.
Did you lubricate the cable? Could be it. otherwise it might be gummed up throttle internals or a pour spring.

regarding the fuel issue... which line did you try to fill? the larger ID one, or the smaller ID one? the larger one is the line that feeds the carburetors. the smaller one is the vacuum line that feeds vacuum pressure to the petcock. have you tested the petcock to ensure proper operation of the vacuum actuated valve?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I poored fuel down the larger hose that feeds the carbs and i cranked the bike for a while and it didn't even try to start and the level of fuel in the hose stayed the same.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
did you verify that the carb floats were calibrated to the correct level? the carbs don't suck fuel so that's not it. it's a gravity feed system so the only thing that could block flow would be a blockage in the line or the float needles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleaned the entire carb, i checked the floats and they were fine. I just don't understand why the fuel isn't even getting to the engine.
Can it be that big valve that 3 large tubes(2 from the valve cover and 1 from the airbox) lead to on top of the engine?
I bought this bike in non-running condition so everything can be wrong, any ideas?
Vlad.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Open the carb drains to verify that the float bowls are full.

FOG

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Opened the carb drains and they have fuel.
What would block fuel from getting throgh the carb and into the engine?
When i removed the float bowl covers i cleaned the two removable needles, and sprayed carb cleaner through every opening.Is there anything else that can possibly block the fuel travel??
I checked the vacum tube that goes to the petcock and it defintely "sucks" when the engine is turning.
The wiring for the headlight and gauge cluster is disconected because both the headlight and cluster are missing. Would that cause some kind of electrical system lock??
Vlad.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Yeah your pilot jets are plugged.

FOG

·
Registered
175 Posts
Rinzler said:
have you tested the petcock to ensure proper operation of the vacuum actuated valve?
How do you test this? I'm having the same issue. I've had my bike running since it got stolen but after leaving it for a couple of months, there is now no fuel coming through the petcock at all. I've tried another tank and it ran fine so I know it is the petcock. I'm thinking to just rebuild it and replace the two hoses as they could well be 23yrs old

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also, without me measuring, does anybody know offhand what the internal diameter of the vac/fuel hoses are? I'm nowhere near the bike right now and looking to order some from fleabay

·
Super Moderator
14,973 Posts
the fuel line is 5/16" ID

the vac line, not sure. huh, EBAY? just bring samples to your local auto parts store, get lengths right there.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
ducatiman said:
just bring samples to your local auto parts store, get lengths right there.
this. any napa/checkers/autozone whatever should have rolls of the stuff. just take your hoses in there, and match it up. you can probably buy 3 feet of the stuff for just a couple bucks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was just being lazy ::) click click...pick up the post when I get back from work then walk to the back yard.

I called my local bike mechanic (apparently est 1949) and they said they can't get hold of vac line or inline fuel filters (I've got a big car one sat on top of the carbs). I'll have to have a mooch around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts