Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 EX500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All !

I recently picked up a 2007 EX500 from a friend - Great shape, always garage kept with 5500 miles. Unfortunately, it's been sitting for 7+ years, with all fluids in it. First trick was getting the fuel tank open (a little WD40 and some patience got it !) Talk about sour fuel! Anyway, I'm in the process of getting it back up and running. Full carb clean/rebuild(Got Ducatiman's kit), cooling system flush/fill, brake flush/fill, oil change, etc, are all coming up.

If anyone knows of EX500 specific things I should check for the "resurrection project", I'd appreciate it.

I've been working on bikes as a hobby for about 40+ years, so I do have some skills.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
hi and welcome, nah nothing specific I can think on just about the same as any bike designed in the 1980's (2007 is the same bike with a few improvements) just the usual bike stuff brakes fork seals, might be worth looking at the rear suspension bushes and pins. new tires (at least 7yo) and a valve adjustment might be needed should be done every 7k (or sooner) will probably never have been done since new.

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
Welcome! If you've been messing around with bikes for so long you'll find the ex-500 pretty easy to work on and a lot of fun to ride once you're done. I second the valve adjustment recommendation. It's important but it's so often overlooked. I would change the air filter too. It's probably turning to mush by now.

·
Registered
2007 EX500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi and welcome, nah nothing specific I can think on just about the same as any bike designed in the 1980's (2007 is the same bike with a few improvements) just the usual bike stuff brakes fork seals, might be worth looking at the rear suspension bushes and pins. new tires (at least 7yo) and a valve adjustment might be needed should be done every 7k (or sooner) will probably never have been done since new.
Thanks Yorkie! yup, the tires are original - No dry rot, but obviously need replacement due to age. Good tip on rear bushings; will check. And valve adjustment likely in order - While I have it all apart and easy access!

·
Registered
2007 EX500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! If you've been messing around with bikes for so long you'll find the ex-500 pretty easy to work on and a lot of fun to ride once you're done. I second the valve adjustment recommendation. It's important but it's so often overlooked. I would change the air filter too. It's probably turning to mush by now.
Thanks K-Woppa; It does seem pretty starightforward; I've got all the plastics off, and access looks pretty good - Unlike the V-Twin Suzuki Intruder I fixed up for my son last winter - Ugh! No V-twins for me!

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,105 Posts
Unfortunately, it's been sitting for 7+ years, with all fluids in it. First trick was getting the fuel tank open (a little WD40 and some patience got it !) Talk about sour fuel! Anyway, I'm in the process of getting it back up and running. Full carb clean/rebuild(Got Ducatiman's kit), cooling system flush/fill, brake flush/fill, oil change, etc, are all coming up.
If anyone knows of EX500 specific things I should check for the "resurrection project", I'd appreciate it.
+1 to above suggestions, plus an add to remove both flapper valves in the fuel cap...essential for correct tank venting

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I've been working on bikes as a hobby for about 40+ years, so I do have some skills.
one tip I would pass on when stripping it down take lots of photos and store them. unless your the put everything in order as it comes off type of guy, it's easy to forget something weeks/months after removing it. pay attention to things like order the parts came off in, where the spacers go, routing for cables and harness that sort of thing.
one part I had issue with on the rebuild (if you get that far) was the direction the engine bolts fit. especially the top rear bolt goes in left to right, so the head is near the chain sprocket, put it in the wrong way and the nut end rubs on the chain when fully assembled, (guess how I found that out) :):)

·
Registered
2007 EX500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one tip I would pass on when stripping it down take lots of photos and store them. unless your the put everything in order as it comes off type of guy, it's easy to forget something weeks/months after removing it. pay attention to things like order the parts came off in, where the spacers go, routing for cables and harness that sort of thing.
one part I had issue with on the rebuild (if you get that far) was the direction the engine bolts fit. especially the top rear bolt goes in left to right, so the head is near the chain sprocket, put it in the wrong way and the nut end rubs on the chain when fully assembled, (guess how I found that out) :):)
Thanks Yorkie - I am kind of "pics and parts layout" person, definitely helps at reassembly.

·
Boneless Pizza
193 Posts
My input is that this bike has an abnormally unique ability to get funked by the carbs v easily. They need to be tippy toppy and not skimped on when cleaned.

Theres a few threads regarding adding a screen filter into your fuel rail to allow for easier cleaning and preventing stuck floats/plugged jets yada yada
Probably one of the most important modifications I've done to the bike and prevents larger gunk from tank or hoses from larger more damaging failure.

If replacing anything, I recommend to stick with stock set up, its easiest and performs the best.

·
Registered
2007 EX500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello All! My EX project is complete! I got a tremendous amount of help from all the posts on this forum. I'll add my list of little things I found in the process that I didn't see here. She now purrs like a kitten!

However, I have one issue: It turns out I need a set of handlebar risers - Having gotten in my years, the forward leaning riding position, although not extreme, is a bit too much for me - It's causing the classic tingling in hands and wrists, even after a short ride. The Motorcycle Larry or Genmar risers are unavailable new, so I'm wondering if anyone has a set they'd like to sell. I did check with FOG, but he doesn't have any. I did post in the wanted to buy section a while back, and received a lead to Genmar, but it appears they are defunct at this point. Sadly, it appears motorcycle Larry has passed away.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2007 EX500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My input is that this bike has an abnormally unique ability to get funked by the carbs v easily. They need to be tippy toppy and not skimped on when cleaned.

Theres a few threads regarding adding a screen filter into your fuel rail to allow for easier cleaning and preventing stuck floats/plugged jets yada yada
Probably one of the most important modifications I've done to the bike and prevents larger gunk from tank or hoses from larger more damaging failure.

If replacing anything, I recommend to stick with stock set up, its easiest and performs the best.
Thanks WC27; On the fuel filter, I ended doing a 90 degree sintered inline filter that made rerouting the fuel line much easier (it now behind the carb connector rail along the front of the air box, and up to the petcock. Work great!

Thanks for you input!

·
Registered
2007 EX500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome. I've had great luck with my Michelin Pilot Street tires if you're looking for recommended replacements. Good longevity and grip without breaking the bank.
Thanks Seans! I tried to find the Pilots, but had no luck finding them in the correct size. i ended up the Shinkos; Probably not the best choice, but inexpressive, and can be replaced later. At my age I'm not pushing the bike hard into corners, so I think I'll be ok.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts