Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new rear tire for my 02 500ex, and when i put the axel through it spins fine, all except for the last inch when we stick it through the right swingarm?!?!? then it's really difficult to spin by hand, like it's hung up on something. It does this even without the adjuster in there. Slid it through with nothing in the swing arm and it was still binding somewhere and I cant figure it out. Any suggestions or ideas to what the heck is going on there?

THanks.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
either the left chain adjuster is set too tight or your binding the brake disc in some way. Did you push the pistons back into the calipers?

FOG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have been helping bdave6er with this installation and I am stumped. I put new brake pads on it so the brake pads are definately pushed in all of the way. We can slide the axle all the way in throught the left side of swingarm, wheel, brake caliper mount and it still spins freely. When you go to push it through the right side of the swing arm however all of the sudden the axle is harder to push through and when it get through the wheel becomes hard to spin, well not hard just definately has some resistance. I guess I can recheck the brake caliper. By the way how tight should the chain be we will need to re adjust that chain after this. I will also chech the chin adjuster on the left side.

Thanks

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Yes you should have defianetly loosened both chain adjusters before you removed the wheel, then re adjust them as you remount the wheel.

FOG

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't forget to properally align the rear wheel when you've got everything back together and spinning freely. Method is explained in great detail in the How-To section if I'm not mistaken.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
yes it is. the chain should not be TIGHTENED, it should be adjusted. there should be slack in the chain. you can also find that info in the How-to section, and you can also search for it under the keyword, 'Slack'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts