Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider, I took the MCSP course and I did a lot of research and decided that based on several factors, that I wanted the Ninja 500R - so I bought the only remaining 2006 model at my local dealership in the "Kawi-green" color and I've ridden about 75 miles total on the bike.

Here is my question:

When I am decelerating to a stop-light or stop-sign, sometimes I am not able to shift into first until I am completely stopped, and I roll the bike just a bit forward or backward. Although I am sure I can sufficiently accelerate out of second from a dead-stop, I have sometimes stalled the bike and committed an FTLC (failure to look cool).

What am I doing wrong in getting the bike to down-shift to first while decelerating?

-MJ

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The problem is that you're not down shifting fast enough.  are you pulling the clutch in and shifting gears before or after you're stopped?  you should be down shifting as you're slowing down feathering the clutch. personally i always let the clutch out a little on each gear change as i'm slowing down. I'm also giving a very sharp and fast throttle (called blipping the throttle) as i pull the clutch. i also downshift and pull the clutch at the same time. everything happens quickly... less than a tenth of a second i'd say.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The website says it's for the EX500/500R...and the picture looks like my speedo,

correction that's not my speedo, says 180. did you mean the tach is mechanical?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
no, i meant the speedometer is mechanical. the tach I BELIEVE is electrical impulse, i mean it's gotta be. i know how those gear indicators work though. they base your gear off the relationship between your RPM and speed. i'd just like to know how it does so with a mechanical speedometer.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The Datatool Digital Gear Indicator (DIGI-E) is suitable for use on motorcycles equipped with an electronic speedometer and electric rev counter (that is bikes that ONLY have electrical wiring to the gauges!). The digital system relates the electronic pulses between the two inputs, and once installed and setup, indicates the gear ratio of your bike.
There is a different version (DIGI-C) for cable drive Speedo's like Ducatis, and many older sportbikes. (You still need to have an Electronic Tacho.)
Features:
Indicates up to 8 gear ratios
Auto dim for night time use
Gives added control and safety
Protects engines from costly over downshifts
This DiGI Gear Indicator is not affect by using Timing Retard Eliminators (TREs), as it uses the relationship of the tachometer and speedometer to determine which gear you are in!

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
549 Posts
Knightslugger said:
i am insanely curious on how they got the mechanical gear indicator to work while retaining the speedometer functions.
My guess, and just a guess, is that for the extra 40 what bucks they give you some type of signal generator to put in line with your speedo cable. Then they use that signal with your tach signal to drive the counter.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
The EX has a neutral light. they key off of that, and just index up or down from there , I don't know how though.

FOG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Knightslugger said:
Welcome to the forum!

The problem is that you're not down shifting fast enough. are you pulling the clutch in and shifting gears before or after you're stopped? you should be down shifting as you're slowing down feathering the clutch. personally i always let the clutch out a little on each gear change as i'm slowing down. I'm also giving a very sharp and fast throttle (called blipping the throttle) as i pull the clutch. i also downshift and pull the clutch at the same time. everything happens quickly... less than a tenth of a second i'd say.
Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the pointer.

What I have been doing is pulling in the clutch while I am decelerating and then attempting to shift down each gear without any additional throttle or releasing the clutch - much as I do when I drive my car.

I guess this is bad form, considering that on a motorcycle, it is more important than in a car to use engine braking in addition to your regular brakes.

By "feathering" the clutch - you mean quickly pulling and releasing to some extent? Probably just inside and outside of the friction zone?

-MJ

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
i use engine braking to slow down for a stop light. usually i dont put it in first until im at a complete stop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The answer to the newbie question is that since your bike has very few miles on it, the motor and transmission are not totally broken in yet. As the bike gets more miles on it they transmission and motor will run smoother and you will be able to get the bike into 1st gear easier.

My wife is having the gear hunting thing problem, as well. I just bought one of those digi-gear things. Once I receive it and get it installed I will post up how it works with this bike. My brother has one mounted on his ZX10R and it does not work as good when you have a power commander installed. The power commander does not tell the cpu that the bike is in 6th gear, so that you can have a higher topend speed. It in effect will not let the gear indicator know that it is in 6th gear as well. I love the factory gear indicator on my GSXR. It is a muc needed item for that bike - wrong and wide open throttle can be very dangerous...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts