Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, I put a new O-ring chain and both new sprockets today. I went down to a 41 tooth rear sprocket (I believe) and WOW what a difference. I now cruise along at 80mph at 6100rpm, down 500rpm. I have a much smoother pull from 7k-11k rpm, pulling really strong throughout. I know a lot of people gear up for wheelies, but this really improves the bike for commuting.

Other mod is a touring windscreen with the little flip up at the top. Thinking of getting Sarachu's.

2004 EX500, 19,800 miles, never a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knightslugger said:
if you're shifting at 11k, you shouldn't be. are all those miles yours?
Haha, No, I usually shift at 7k right before the power hits, and yes, all miles are mine. I ride a 35-40 miles round trip commute, that's why I wanted to gear down. 80mph is the avarage fast lane speed for my freeway, and I was looking for a way to get a little better fuel economy while preserving my engines life by not spinning so high. I bought this bike brand new.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this as well.. did you keep the standard tooth front and just drop in the rear? I've been thinking about +1 front and -2 rear. Might be a bit drastic though, haven't fully made up my mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lacessit said:
I've been thinking about doing this as well.. did you keep the standard tooth front and just drop in the rear? I've been thinking about +1 front and -2 rear. Might be a bit drastic though, haven't fully made up my mind.
Ya, I believe they left my front stock, the didn't list any changes on the work write-up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts