Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st. yes i've seen the chart. there's a lot of info found with the search on this site! i like it.

Anyhow, I just purchased a 96 Kawi Ninja 500. I've never toyed with or ridden a bike in my entire life. so i think the term NOOB isn't right..i like sub-noob lol. anyhow first thing i did was the oil change. worried the hell outta me! the sight glass was FULL, and i had oil leaking from the overflow pipe. so i took the oil out, and my lord, it had just shy of SEVEN (7) quarts. OMFG!!! the previous owner told me of an oil leak..no kidding, you caused it..there was some gas in the oil. I waskind of hoping not to take apart the carbs, but then i realized its better off, because if the fool put seven quarts in, god knows what he's done (if anything to the carbs).

If you guys have any recommendations outside the maintenance chart, feel free to let me know. I don't have a service manual (yet), but can turn a wrench. been working on cars (professionally & backyard) for years. so i can figure stuff out..

btw i used Rotella 15w-40.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
install an inline fuel filter and get you a service manual . if you can turn a wrench , then you will have no problem working on this bike . good luck .

·
Registered
722 Posts
Knightslugger said:
holy hell... 7 quarts?! that's twice the capacity! that poor engine... Good god, i wonder how long he ran it like that...?
he did it for the oil pickup while he did wheelies, duh. :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yesterday: put some brakes on it, (front and rear). Man, i love how easy bikes are. front and rear pads in 15 minutes?! awesome. granted thats not removing the rotors, but they appear ok. once i get my manual, i'll mic them for runout. put the right side mirror on (old one wouldn't tighten). Put a new brake handle on (was broken), and tightened the chain. i think i overtightened it a bit. sitting at dead stop, in gear, it has 1/2" play. it rides 2 million times better, as the chain was at 2" or more deflection.

next up are the tires, just by measurements i dont think the 150/60-17's are gonna fit. i may just stick with the 130's. bummer, i wanted michelin Pilot powers too..

·
Registered
221 Posts
"i think i overtightened it a bit. sitting at dead stop, in gear, it has 1/2" play."

Mesus Jhist I HOPE you are checking the slack at a dead stop!! ;)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2dogs said:
Mesus Jhist I HOPE you are checking the slack at a dead stop!! ;)
lol..figured i'd pull a few tricks outta my hat, and grab the chain while doing 35 mph...should work right?!

mugwump, thanks for the info. next chance i get, i'll set it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts