Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad recently bought an '02 BMW R1150RT (great bike, by the way, and also a twin - talk about a different controls setup, though!). That leaves his old bike without a full time home, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow at the special family price :p.

It's a '99 Vulcan 1500 Classic. I've ridden it more than a few times (took it on our honeymoon, actually), so I'm quite familiar with it, and actually I'm really pumped about having yet another bike in the stable. On top of it all, the wife doesn't even expect me to get rid of either of my other bikes, how about that? :D

Here she is. The picture is circa September 2002, but not much has changed (probably the tires a few times and a windshield or two).

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Have fun. Play well with others.
Get some mufflers! Straight pipes are evil and anti-social.

Uh-oh... did I type that out loud? :eek:

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lucky#13 said:
Hey ! I have those same saddlebags on mine . Is that a Mustang Saddle ?
Corbin, actually. I'll probably be going with a Mustang down the road just for the simple fact that the passenger seat on this Corbin rather sucks. First thing on my list is a little tuning, though. It's got a bit of a stumble just off idle, I think something to do with the jets that came with the pipe not being set up right.

So where are the best resources for this beast online? I found VROC but not much else.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MrSciTrek said:

Would you count it as meeting you half-way if I told you that by riding this with the straight pipes I was being more social than when I ride the KZ? :p

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Nick D said:
MrSciTrek said:

Would you count it as meeting you half-way if I told you that by riding this with the straight pipes I was being more social than when I ride the KZ? :p
I bet you could "customize" a couple of Cherry Bomb / Thrush glass-packs on that pretty easily.
Plus, it'd match the "classyness" of the shiny metal bits on the saddle bags. ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually I'm not sure it is straight pipes, they're just aftermarket. It's not as loud as a lot of v-twins I've heard, though. Or maybe my memory is just fading and I'll have to refresh it tomorrow :)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucky#13 said:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm#general This is good for tech stuff . I am a member of VROK . They can answer any questions you have . I just sold a '98 for $5800 it was much stronger than my '01 FI . They handle well to weigh close to 800 lbs..
Awesome, thanks for the link. I'll sign up for VROC in the morning, haven't had time yet.

Was the '98 a Classic? What about your '01?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Nick D said:
Lucky#13 said:
Yep , both are/were VN1500 Classics .
So how does the fuelie compare? Obviously you liked it well enough to keep it over the carb bike :p.
It's nice in some ways . And it falls short in others . I got a '99 Victory V92 a couple weeks ago , so the '01 is up for sale also . In my opinion the '98 had more power and was simpler to work on . I bought the '98 at an auction . It was PO by a Florida Lottery winner . Its the one in 'lets see your bikes' . It had a $12K paint job , so it was sold first . Don't ask me why , but I perfer carbed bikes .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nick D said:
Corbin, actually. I'll probably be going with a Mustang down the road just for the simple fact that the passenger seat on this Corbin rather sucks. First thing on my list is a little tuning, though. It's got a bit of a stumble just off idle, I think something to do with the jets that came with the pipe not being set up right.

Hey Nick D, you're in Indiana right? Saw a mustang saddle on indy's craigslist today. Might not fit your bike, but wanted to mention it just in case.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/297969293.html

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks the same outside, I just worry about all the hardware being completely different. Good looking out though, thanks for the link! I'll have to do a little research on that one.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cool bike. How does it compare to other bikes of it's kind?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I've only ever ridden 2 other cruisers. This bike is a little heavier feeling in the steering than the VTX I rode, but that VTX ran out of revs WAY too early. This bike will roll on the throttle for days and just keep pulling, but that VTX had nothing after what felt like about 4000 rpms (no tach that I remember, none on the Vulcan either). The other bike was my buddies '81 Sportster, and that was really apples and oranges. He had just put forward controls on it and we were trying it out, so it was really awkward riding it for the first time with an unusual setup. He has since returned it to the stock setup (the forward controls just didn't suit the bike), so hopefully I'll get a chance to reevaluate it.

I went out just about all day Saturday on it, tooling around town with the wife and cruising one of the nicer backroads around here. I think this is going to be a great relationship :p.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MrSciTrek said:
I bet you could "customize" a couple of Cherry Bomb / Thrush glass-packs on that pretty easily.
Plus, it'd match the "classyness" of the shiny metal bits on the saddle bags. ;)
I didn't think that it was that loud, then I found out why - it's baffled! Honestly, these pipes are set up just about perfect, sound good but not too loud by any means.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Nick D said:
MrSciTrek said:
I didn't think that it was that loud, then I found out why - it's baffled! Honestly, these pipes are set up just about perfect, sound good but not too loud by any means.
So... when are you gonna try fitting them on the 500? ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts