Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one update the wiki? Even minor corrections are impossible, I believe.Is it due to the prevalent spam that all wiki editing/adding has been disabled even for reputable and/or vetted members? Can a system be put in place where if you have X-likes or X-posts that you can work in the wiki?

·
Registered
19,293 Posts
I have stated many times to not trust the wiki, precisely because anyone can alter whatever they wish right or wrong. If the administration has put a stop to that I'm all for it.

FOG

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they did put a stop to it. We will see if any admin respond. As a wiki, the nature of it is so anyone can edit, create, etc.. I mean just the definition of wiki

But yeah, if there was a vetting process or something, and it was trusted, etc. That's be the best. Looking at the ninja 250 wikis out there, it's sick in comparison.

·
Registered
19,293 Posts
Your far better off asking a direct question to the open forum, then at least you can judge the validity of your answer. From whence it comes

FOG0:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then maybe the forum should consider closing the wiki?

At least on the wiki you won't get crumudgeons yelling at new people for dumb actions or dumber questions. And i promise this is not a reference to you FOG.

With a wiki, you get communal input on one tiny slice of a topic. No discussion, and minimal opinion.

What I am hearing from you, and the resounding silence of anyone else reading this thread but not commenting, is that the forum should reconsider "running" a wiki. If a wiki is available but not worthy of updating or adding, the only reason we have it, is to have that feather in our cap? Bad reason to keep a failing product if you ask me.

I get what you are saying, so why aren't we removing it? Because it's a native feature of the forum software? Because we like pointing at it for random topics but not all? That's like stickying topics but not considering the relevance or accuracy over time. Meh.

If this thread dies here with me and you FOG, I'm all for having someone wipe the wiki.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think it should be reopened, but put restrictions so that only members with a certain seniority in the forum and with good reputation can edit the wiki.

There is very good information there and it is the first reference when you have doubts, you are in a problem and you can not wait for the response of the members of the forum.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Everyone working on their own bike, should also have a service manual. IMO But I guess that's not relevant to the thread, I haven't come to an opinion on that yet. I think I have looked through the wiki once, just to see what was in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts