Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little brother got named one of the best "bang for your buck" bikes in the June 2007 issue of Motorcyclist magazine. Let's buy him a beer as our little guy has gotten some recognition!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
It's good lightweight/small/learning bike according to all I've read.

Too bad they won't rate bikes in quarter-mile categories or our 500 might get a win in the "Best 13 second Twisties Bike" section.

Or... ??

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah the 250 Ninja is a nice bike. I test rode one before buying the ex500 I have now.

If I lived in a major city the 250 ninja would be my bike today, but there are a lot of expressways here, and I thought the 500 would be better on them then the 250.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you're looking for thrills, you'll find few of them with the 250. If you're looking for gas mileage, have no care for looks nor frills, then sure.... you can get a fully functional motorcycle for easily $1500, used. But that's all you're getting. And anyone beyond 5'2" and 130 lbs looks like this, in comparison:

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
261 Posts
^^ Poor bike. :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm 5'10, 160lb, and the 250 fits my size just fine. In fact, I know people 6'2 + that ride the 250 and it is not a problem, and definitely doesn't look like that picture :)

The 250 is only about 2" smaller than the 500. When I line both bikes up beside each other, you can hardly tell the difference. They look very similar. The 500 is mostly just bulkier (bigger tank, heavier, etc.). The 250 is a very comfortable ride and it does highway just fine.

Don't be fooled... the 250 is a great bike.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hey,Negligence,does the EX250 actually do well on the interstate?I looked long and hard at them,but finally bought an EX500 because of the increased horsepower.I'm 5'10"/200 lbs.Figured that the 250 might be a little underpowered for the highway.Three hundred and something pounds sounded great,though.I'm downsizing from bigger BMW's.Tired of heavy bikes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unless someone has driven a 250, it's easy to mistake it for being an incapable bike. The 250 will handle the superslab. The bike isn't meant for it (but then again, neither is the 500), but it will ride along or lead traffic just fine. Remember the 250 is capable of over 100mph, which I doubt you would be cruising along at. You won't have a ton of passing power while cruising at 75-80mph, but you can pass.

The 300lb aspect is very nice :) For anyone that has decent strength, you can tip the bike most of the way over and have no problem picking it back up... it's that light. The downside is the bike is more sensitive at higher speeds because its so light, but this is something you adapt to. Even the 500 is vulnerable.

I'm partial to my 500, but there's something so relaxing and fun about sitting on the 250. It's just so damn
comfortable! There's a lot of mature riders that drive the 250 for distance riding, trips around the countryside, etc., and they all agree that the bike is fantastic, especially in the twisties.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ok, I own a 250 and have ridden on the highway (never again!) with it. Firstly, the 250 revs high, and it's "power" (if you are generous enough to acknowledge it) is only really seen beyond 9k rpms, with a redline of 14k rpms. The 250 is so petite that I felt I was probably going to die if I didn't take the next exit after immediately getting on the highway. It's almost like riding a bicycle at 70 mph, you're fearing for your life... :D

If you're looking for a city bike, or a side-road commuter bike, the 250 will keep cash in your wallet that would otherwise be used at the pump. However, in my opinion, it isn't highway worthy. It's not something you'll be comfortable riding at highway speeds, regardless of whether it is capable of 100 mph or not.

Point is, it is an incapable bike. You could get a scooter with more power. And if you're willing to ride the highway on a 250, you might as well adopt other extreme activities such as base jumping, nude skydiving and evil knievel type stuff... 'cuz you must obviously have very little concern for life and longevity.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
It's almost like riding a bicycle at 70 mph
That would be a great feeling, no ?

Wasn't it Colin Chapman saying : Light is right ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
The 250 is so petite that I felt I was probably going to die if I didn't take the next exit after immediately getting on the highway. It's almost like riding a bicycle at 70 mph, you're fearing for your life... :D
I got my road bicycle up to 56-57 mph once going down a mountain- pretty dumb - but I was 17, so what can I say? Definitely scary on those 3/4 inch wide tires though! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, that's pretty extreme. :eek:

Having done NYC to Dallas on a 200cc single, and having accompanied a 250 Ninja from Dallas to SF, I have to say I completely disagree with you.

The 250 isn't the most powerful thing on the planet but it's better than most of the econocars on the road. Yes, it can be tedious having to spin the motor hard all day long, but the basic motorcycle is almost bulletproof. My only complaint about the 250 is the super soft suspension and old-school running gear, but what the heck, it's an econo-scoot....

Good, reliable, economical. Nothing wrong with any part of that equation.

eXce!!eNt said:
Ok, I own a 250 and have ridden on the highway (never again!) with it. Firstly, the 250 revs high, and it's "power" (if you are generous enough to acknowledge it) is only really seen beyond 9k rpms, with a redline of 14k rpms. The 250 is so petite that I felt I was probably going to die if I didn't take the next exit after immediately getting on the highway. It's almost like riding a bicycle at 70 mph, you're fearing for your life... :D

If you're looking for a city bike, or a side-road commuter bike, the 250 will keep cash in your wallet that would otherwise be used at the pump. However, in my opinion, it isn't highway worthy. It's not something you'll be comfortable riding at highway speeds, regardless of whether it is capable of 100 mph or not.

Point is, it is an incapable bike. You could get a scooter with more power. And if you're willing to ride the highway on a 250, you might as well adopt other extreme activities such as base jumping, nude skydiving and evil knievel type stuff... 'cuz you must obviously have very little concern for life and longevity.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have taken a 250 (Both the Ninjette and a GZ250) out on the hiway too. Would I like more power? Sure! But the damn thing has enough pickup to get thru traffic no problem. Maybe you have to think ahead a little more but you're supposed to anyway right? I does take a little getting used to the higher revving though. So I'm of the opinion that they are decent machines and capable up to a point.

I want to qualify the above opinion by stating that I've actually made the run from Hamburg Germany to the island of Amrum (via ferry the last leg) in the North Sea up by Denmark riding an 80cc dual sport on the Autobahn part way. I made decent speed by drafting trucks until the temp would climb too high and then I'd have to back off. Sounds crazy I know but there were attractions on that island that made it imperative that I be there ASAP and I was a young man. Plus there were really no problems even with the occasional seriously high speed traffic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I always loved that bike. In fact, I almost bought it over the EX, because I thought it had the better styling. Jessica Alba made it pretty popular during the "Dark Angel" series as well. It's best colour combo was the blue and silver.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Chris2skis said:
eXce!!eNt said:
The 250 is so petite that I felt I was probably going to die if I didn't take the next exit after immediately getting on the highway. It's almost like riding a bicycle at 70 mph, you're fearing for your life... :D
I got my road bicycle up to 56-57 mph once going down a mountain- pretty dumb - but I was 17, so what can I say? Definitely scary on those 3/4 inch wide tires though! :D
152 mph pedal bike at Bonneville (drafting, of course):
http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR Bike01.htm

Fastest human powered (on level ground, no drafting) bike:
http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/speedruns2000/worlds-fastest-bicycle-2000.htm

Electric bicycle at Bonneville:
http://www.greenspeed.us/machine-x_burro_bike.htm

WHOA... what the heck:
http://www.bodyriteltd.com/

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
From the clip (this is the inventor speaking) : I see those flying cars in the air and me with this taking the streets.

Woah ! indeed ::)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Mad Matt said:
Sounds crazy I know but there were attractions on that island that made it imperative that I be there ASAP and I was a young man.
Uh-huh. and what was her name? ;D

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Chris2skis said:
eXce!!eNt said:
152 mph pedal bike at Bonneville (drafting, of course):
http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR Bike01.htm

Fastest human powered (on level ground, no drafting) bike:
http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/speedruns2000/worlds-fastest-bicycle-2000.htm

Electric bicycle at Bonneville:
http://www.greenspeed.us/machine-x_burro_bike.htm

WHOA... what the heck:
http://www.bodyriteltd.com/
here is one of a guy going ~100 MPH down a volcano on a bicycle and it FALLS APART AND HE CRASHES.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-162891478515007486

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow. As soon as his lid popped off I was sure he was a goner. Didn't look hurt too bad though....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts