Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to purchase a used 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500 and I would like to find a kit (moderately priced) to make the bike look like a bobber or cafe racer.

I checked out BlueCollarBobbers.com and it looks like that they only provide a bobber kit for the Kawasaki 250.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I am planning to purchase a used 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500 and I would like to find a kit (moderately priced) to make the bike look like a bobber or cafe racer.

I checked out BlueCollarBobbers.com and it looks like that they only provide a bobber kit for the Kawasaki 250.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
I know this is your first post and all, and you may not reply back but if you really do want to make it look like a cafe racer it will be a lot more work than any kit can possibly contain. that's why there aren't any. If you really want to modify the EX, send me a PM and I can guide you on how not to ruin it.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I think a bobber would be easier to build from an EN500 Vulcan. A kit probably does not exist, so you will have to use imagination, eBay and some time pondering your project. Have a second bike to ride while all of this is occurring.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
There aren't really any "kits" per say for either look for 500.

The best "kit" out there for this is some tools, materials, time, and imagination.

O_E_M

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Being I have a 250 as well, and post on Ninjette.org I've looking into the Blue Collar Bobbed kit for the 250, and some members over there have used their kit, excellent quality and workmanship, but at a price of $1,300, but the kit is almost everything needed.

I will be getting one of their kits hopefully soon once I find another 250. I already have their Big Boys links, they do the same thing as the Fog Bones do for the 500.

I've contacted the owner of bcb, and asked him about a kit for the 500, but no such luck on planning to build one for the 500.

There are generic kits on eBay, seat, headlight, etc... You can try one of those, but you'll need to modify / fabricate those.

I suggest you watch the YouTube videos for the 250, it might give you some ideas, Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok so I found this post because my Uncle and I are working on turning my 2007 Ninja 500 into a Cafe Style racer. I know there are no kits and we have all the tools we need to custom fabricate everything. He has the know how I am just a computer person learning all these mechanics. But what parts would I need so I can start getting things in so help lighten the load off him since this really isn't a project for him but for me.

Seems like I am going to need to get:
- Front Bullet Headlight with Housing
- Front Fender Eliminator Set
- Pig Spotter Mirrors (Something I personally want and if someone can point me in the right direction for a 2007 that would be much appreciated.)
- Rear Fender Eliminator Set
- Bob Seating

And from there it would be what I would want to do with my console and the paint job and what not.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Ok so I found this post because my Uncle and I are working on turning my 2007 Ninja 500 into a Cafe Style racer. I know there are no kits and we have all the tools we need to custom fabricate everything. He has the know how I am just a computer person learning all these mechanics. But what parts would I need so I can start getting things in so help lighten the load off him since this really isn't a project for him but for me.

Seems like I am going to need to get:
- Front Bullet Headlight with Housing
- Front Fender Eliminator Set
- Pig Spotter Mirrors (Something I personally want and if someone can point me in the right direction for a 2007 that would be much appreciated.)
- Rear Fender Eliminator Set
- Bob Seating

And from there it would be what I would want to do with my console and the paint job and what not.
OK, first things first. If you're just learning mechanics and you'll be working on your project with your uncle, who has know how and a machine shop, be careful! You might just catch the bug, and you'll start finding excuses to go work in the garage. :grin2:

I don't know much about doing a cafe conversion, but the 750 Nighthawk headlight might be a good candidate, and brackets are available to mount it to the fork tubes.

By pig spotters, I assume you mean bar end mirrors? And for rear fender eliminator, you mean getting rid of the mud guard and getting a mount for license plate and turn signals, or are you looking for a cafe racer style tail, as in the kit above?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks

Yes my uncle did tell me to grab some tools to measure my forks today so we can look at the headlight set up.

Thank you for the light suggestion. And for the rear I do mean taking off mud guard stuff and putting a mount for license plate and turn signals. I am not looking for a kit but trying to get a Cafe Look. For the mirrors I was want something as small as possible, open to suggestions.

The issue we are looking right now is how do we strip the smog stuff and air box.

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
^ You can get block off plates from this guy http://www.ex-500.com/16-sale/32558-pair-removal-kit.html To remove the pair system. Then just plug the hole in the air box, and cap off the vacuum port on the right hand carburetor. You shouldn't try to remove the air box, too complicated to get the bike to run well without it.

Do you have a California model?

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
A California model: A model first sold in CA. it would have more emissions to remove than just the pair system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is your first post and all, and you may not reply back but if you really do want to make it look like a cafe racer it will be a lot more work than any kit can possibly contain. that's why there aren't any. If you really want to modify the EX, send me a PM and I can guide you on how not to ruin it.
Hey I know this thread is old but I am bobbing my 500r if you could point me in the right way

1 - 14 of 14 Posts