Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night i was at work talking to one on my employees, and we came up with a wild idea, a go cart with a ex motor and tranny. but i got to thinking would it really be worth it? does anyone on here have any experince it this field, i am wondering how to mount the motor and tranny, if it should be an on or off road cart?
If you have any suggestions or ideas let them fly.....
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Do a board search and feel free to see some of the other go-kart idea's in another thread I made. I'm working on a kart now using either a mini-bike motor or a 7hp Honda motor.

If I wreck my bike however, the motor will in a go-kart faster than the paramedics will arrive!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
My cousin and I have toyed with the idea as well, with a motor from a bike he's got lying around, but logistically we'd be in uncharted territory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Slightly off topic... I knew a guy who put a turbo rotary engine from a Mazda RX-7 in the back of a Volkswagen Bug. EX-500 Go Kart sounds like an awesome idea, and scary! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
633 Posts
Yeh I have to agree, the little 500 is to weak, go with a liter bike engine or bigger, not that a 50hp go kart wouldnt be balls to the wall fast, just that a 150hp kart would be a whole lot fast (if you could find traction)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
When I was a kid my Dad built a Go Kart for me using I believe an old KZ400 engine. Let me tell you there was no comparison between my Go Kart with the KZ400 engine and 5 speed tranny, versus the other kids with their automatic 5hp Briggs & Stratton units. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I think the 500 would be great fun! And just under-powered enough for my wife to approve of it as a go-kart for the kids *yeah right!!* ::)

However, I think going the route of the DP1 would be a little more fun for a full-size adult. It's a purpose-built, homemade racecar. It is using the V8 Hayabusa engine for a powerplant, and it is a MONSTER!!! Check it out here (click on the "?" in the top navigation to get the specs):
http://dpcars.net/dp1test/index.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,390 Posts
Realistically, I think the EX motor would be a great engine for a usable cart. 50hp in a little cart with a decent set of front brakes will do burnouts all day long, and that's about all a 150+ hp cart is good for since you can't really take it out on the street anywhere. The biggest downside I see would be the radiator, though. Something like an old air-cooled KZ engine would be a much easier setup, but the coolant lines and radiator wouldn't be completely terrible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
sonyminidiscman said:
thats a little crazy... although i would like to try it on a track beside a farrari
so it's crazy to put that many horses into a kart, but running one next to a ferrari is sane ??? lol ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
omninate said:
sonyminidiscman said:
thats a little crazy... although i would like to try it on a track beside a farrari
so it's crazy to put that many horses into a kart, but running one next to a ferrari is sane ??? lol ;D

Well, if you are crazy enought to put 50hp in a go kart, then running beside a farrari would be no more crazier...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sonyminidiscman said:
omninate said:
sonyminidiscman said:
thats a little crazy... although i would like to try it on a track beside a farrari
so it's crazy to put that many horses into a kart, but running one next to a ferrari is sane ??? lol ;D

Well, if you are crazy enought to put 50hp in a go kart, then running beside a farrari would be no more crazier...
not to be an ass but can you spell?


Btw go kart update...i started building the frame for it....it is an on road kart.


I have a motor and tranny, i also made a pedel setup....i will have a foot clutch and a a car style left hand shifter, so ill get some pics up soon........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,390 Posts
Nick said:
...i will have a foot clutch

You'll have a foot clutch? What if someone else wants to drive it? I'd put the clutch on the cart, it'd be easier to switch drivers.

Nick said:
and a a car style left hand shifter,
If you're going to bust someone's balls about spelling, don't stutter when you type.

Nick said:
so ill get some pics up soon........
ill? How about I'll?

Just busting some balls myself since you're all of 7 posts into this forum and trying to join the spelling police posse.

On the shifter, how are you going to use a car style shifter? Are you talking like an F1 shifter, with the forward and back actuation? Or are you running a different tranny than the stock EX?

Going with suspension or not? Probably don't need it, but it'd be fun to play with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nick D said:
Nick said:
...i will have a foot clutch

You'll have a foot clutch? What if someone else wants to drive it? I'd put the clutch on the cart, it'd be easier to switch drivers.

Nick said:
and a a car style left hand shifter,
If you're going to bust someone's balls about spelling, don't stutter when you type.

Nick said:
so ill get some pics up soon........
ill? How about I'll?

Just busting some balls myself since you're all of 7 posts into this forum and trying to join the spelling police posse.

On the shifter, how are you going to use a car style shifter? Are you talking like an F1 shifter, with the forward and back actuation? Or are you running a different tranny than the stock EX?

Going with suspension or not? Probably don't need it, but it'd be fun to play with.
we as far as the clutch goes... it is going to be a pedal clutch.... and the shifter will be a left hand sequential shifter, and i am using the ex tranny........sorry about the post last night i was extremely tired
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top