Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed out my front brake M/c with a new one. 14mm bore so should be the correct size. Put the fluid in and bled it (no more air coming from the bleeder screw) but I still don't have any brake feel and when testing it in the drive way no bite in the brake at all . Any thoughts where to start?

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
I write the solutions for you ahead of time, you have to read and do this;
Complete front caliper service

Nothing else will do

FOG

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I’d say that’s as emphatic as I’ve ever seen FOG get.

Srsly tho, he didn’t take the time to write all that information down for it to not be used.

Reactions: youfoundwaldo

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I didn't have the issue before hand so I would say the disk and caliper would not be the issue, however reading it I did see to hold the caliper a over the MC and bleed it that way so that the bleeder valve is the highest point, so I'll try that next.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
yes the disc and the caliper is the issue
st paragraph from my instructions

"

Discussion Starter • #1 Oct 25, 2006
Front Caliper Service

Many folks have posted here with a Varity of front brake problems. Many of which are attributable to the lack of proper maintenance. Here’s how you can always have a brake like when your bike was new.

A short list of the problems and the causes.

Soft lever or lever goes to the bar.

The usual cause is the pistons are pushed too far back into the caliper by a flexing a warped, coned, disc. Using up too much piston travel before the disc is pinched

FOG

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess that doesn't make any sense in my mind. The disc and caliper were fine this morning, I replaced the master cylinder and brake lever, and now the disc and the caliper are the issue?

I would whole heatedly believe that there is some air in the master cylinder or I just didn't bleed it enough, but I fail to see how the disc could have gotten uneven in the hour sitting on the bike not doing anything, or the caliper needing the slides lubed or anything like that.

Now I'm all for stranger things have happened so if taking the caliper above the master cylinder and bleeding it there doesn't work, then I'll go from the beginning and do all the steps.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
It sounds like you installed a non-stock master? What's the lever feel? Is it spongy or rock hard?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was less than spongy, like nothing at all. Had some air in it, "bled" it and cracked the banjo for a second and an airbubble burped out, then it was back to good! Thanks for the help everyone, I'll probably do Fog's whole wrote up next weekend as some preventive maintenance!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Very common problem when replacing the master cylinder.

Try Mityvac. Attach to bleeder screw; loosen bleeder screw a little, pump Mityvac.
It should pull the air bubble, wherever it is; usually the air bubble is stuck
at the upper banjo, especially on modern bikes where the brake
fluid is pumped up before it goes down the hose to the caliper.

Plus, when you get some brake pressure, but not correct because the brake lever gets too close to the h/bar.
Bring the handle back as far as it will go and attach a bungee cord to hold it there for a a while, then
hours later, or next day, undo bungee cord and gradually release brake, then see how it works!

Cheers!

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Pump brake fluid up from the caliper to the mc

Fog

Reactions: yorkie
1 - 12 of 12 Posts