Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced the petcock and fuel and vacuum lines. I am not able to get fuel into my carbs? I did rebuild the carbs with OEM kits. Is this a vacuum problem with the petcock?. I did replace the petcock with an OEM part. I was having fuel issues from the beginning when I tried to start the bike. The bike has been setting for ten years. I am trying to get it running for a friend. Any ideas would be appreciated. The bike will run when squirting starter fluid into the carbs. But I don't believe I have been able to create the necessary vacuum to open the petcock valve? Thank you, Zane

·
Super Moderator
15,340 Posts
describe where your petcock vacuum and fuel supply lines are connected to

·
Registered
121 Posts
When you open your petcock without being connected to the carbs. Does fuel come out. Test it somewhere that you dont mind gas spilling. Is your fuel clean?

·
Registered
567 Posts
When you open your petcock without being connected to the carbs. Does fuel come out. Test it somewhere that you dont mind gas spilling. Is your fuel clean?
Fuel should not come out as described above. Fuel should only flow when a vacuum is applied to the vacuum port.

You can use something like a mityvac to apply vacuum to the vacuum port. If fuel does not flow with a vacuum applied and the fuel tap in the ON or RES setting then you likely have a blockage somewhere in the fuel tap.

·
Registered
567 Posts
"The bike has been setting for ten years."

Carb Clean?
Agreed. Regardless of whether the fuel tap is delivering fuel correctly or not, the carb will almost certainly need a thorough strip/clean/rebuild.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yes, I see it now, duh! Reading is Fundamental!

Here's a test tank that does not use a vacuum petcock, can usually find similar at salvage yard or on Craigslist:

Nice for access to carbs for synch, and test drive for leaks
and stuff under the tank, makes everything more visible.
You can even use clear fuel line to watch for gas flow.

·
Super Moderator
15,340 Posts
hey OP ?????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No fuel comes out. I believe petcock needs vacuum to open. There is a vacuum line that is routed to the carburetors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apparently he has already rebuilt the carbs. This could be the problem though if not put back together properly.
One reason I did rebuild the carbs was there was not fuel coming to them. I thought possibly if they were cleaned up I could get enough vacuum to open the petcock valve for fuel to flow.

·
Registered
338 Posts
"I have replaced the petcock and fuel and vacuum lines."

Is that replacement of 3 different lines, or did you replace the petcock and 2 other lines? Clarify.
If petcock replaced, please post picture of petcocks, old and new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I see it now, duh! Reading is Fundamental!

Here's a test tank that does not use a vacuum petcock, can usually find similar at salvage yard or on Craigslist:

View attachment 54150

Nice for access to carbs for synch, and test drive for leaks
and stuff under the tank, makes everything more visible.
You can even use clear fuel line to watch for gas flow.
describe where your petcock vacuum and fuel supply lines are connected to
The petcock vacuum line is connected to a hollow rod between the two carbs. The fuel line is connected to a similar type rod. I would need to take a picture as I don't think I will adequately be able to describe the line/hookup .

i would love to find a non vacuum petcock but I am thinking I would need an adapter for it to fit the tank? I'll check at a salvage yard and craigs list. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"I have replaced the petcock and fuel and vacuum lines."

Is that replacement of 3 different lines, or did you replace the petcock and 2 other lines? Clarify.
If petcock replaced, please post picture of petcocks, old and new.
Petcock and bike are at friends. It's a two line petcock. OEM petcock from KAWI. Will post pictures.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The petcock vacuum line is connected to a hollow rod between the two carbs. The fuel line is connected to a similar type rod. I would need to take a picture as I don't think I will adequately be able to describe the line/hookup .

i would love to find a non vacuum petcock but I am thinking I would need an adapter for it to fit the tank? I'll check at a salvage yard and craigs list. Thank you.
So, it sounds like you may have the petcock vacuum line hooked up to the carb breather tube in the middle of the two carbs; sorry, that won't work.
Somewhere, we have a picture of how the petcock vacuum line attaches at the intake side of the left carb. Will post pic when I find it, if no one else has it right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts