Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ride a 2001ex and have only been riding for a few moths. I bought the bike a few moths ago and owner said it had been sitting for about 2 years. Runs pretty rough and I can definetly tell it needs a tune up(actualy bringing it to the shop tommorow or monday). The bike lacks power but still revs through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear just fine but seems like when in fouth the bike loses power and rpm's wont go past 5000. Even with the throttle all the way open it wont rev anymore the bike actually has more speed in 3rd than 4th. I am getting it checked out soon but was wondering if anyone knew what could be wrong(hopefuly nothing major) so i know what to expect from the shop. as you can tell i am new to bikesso thanks for any help.

S

·
0 Posts
Any chance you tried putting the bike into 5th or 6th gear? that might let you narrow the issue down to transmission...just a guess.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah same deal, in 5th dont know about 6th though
anybody know if it sound like its running on one cylinder

·
Registered
169 Posts
does the bike seem revlimited, like it has trouble getting up to 10k?

a bike running on both cylinders will be really revhappy, with a grab-you-by-the-seat-of-your-pants powerband
a bike on only one cylinder won't have that

If it's running on one cylinder, it'll sound unhappy and will be well, half as fast.

this was my experience with my old ninja, which switched between firing on one or both cylinders.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I also recently bought a 2001 (I love the purple!) that had been sitting for a long time (only 2500 miles on it). I've had various engine maladies (choke not working right, engine surging, idle increases) but they all came down to the fuel system being dirty, probably alot from sitting so long. I pulled the tank, drained it and cleaned the screen. I thoroughly cleaned the carbs, reset the floats, and reset the pilots to 2.5 turns. I also did the FOG airbox mod and added an aftermarket fuel filter. I checked carb sync but it was OK. Now the bike runs perfectly, and all of the above mentioned problems are completely gone. There are posts with details on every step that I mentioned I did. I expect that you would see some really positive results as well. Most of it is pretty easy so you could save yourself some money (maybe alot) and start to get to know your bike a little better at the same time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
taking it to the shop monday, could probably do it myself being mechanically inclined with autos but am going to have the whole bike checked. I will post when i get it back from the shop thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had my bike running only on one cylinder. The right one didn't ignite, BUT there was about same amount of air coming from the right exhaust than there was exhaust fumes coming from the left. The bike rev'd almost fine, but my father heard that something wasn't right because the bike sounded weird, like not so happy :). I had, before that, noticed that the right cylinder was cold when the left one was burning hot, so that could be one way to determine whether the bike runs on only one cylinder.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have had the same exact problems over and over again. I cant accelerate after 5K, it just knocks and humms really loud. My right cylinder also does not fire from time to time. If you want to fix it temporarily, just change the spark plugs, that usually works. That’s what I do and it works for about 2-3 weeks until the problem comes back again.

I have cleaned the carbs, the needles over and over again, changed the spark plug caps and wires, rejetted, and still the same thing occurs sooner or later.

I have also lost power from the bike once this started happening. The next thing I am going to do is sync the carbs

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jus got it back from the shop paid 200$ and now everything works fine. as i expected the carbs were gummed up from sitting so long

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
ptaylor said:
jus got it back from the shop paid 200$ and now everything works fine. as i expected the carbs were gummed up from sitting so long
Good deal ! Now your ready to be back on the road :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Your fouling good plugs because of weak spark replace your coils.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If your spark is weak then it won't produce as good of a flame in the combustion chamber leaving deposits on the plugs. So you replace the plugs and it helps for a short time until they foul, instead of looking at the big picture you replace the plugs again. Check the resistance in the coil(never the voltage it will fry the meter). If its too high(not sure the exact # yet) replace it, instead of waisting money on plugs.

·
Registered
270 Posts
sorry I was refering to sevencyrus.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Smoky said:
sorry I was refering to sevencyrus.
I see, that may be it as well. I changed the main jets and it worked again. Does weak coils reduce power? Bc i do feel a power loss.

Sry for jacking the thread, but you fixed it i read.

·
Registered
270 Posts
well fuel economy will go up and acceleration might feel a bit better not to mention the exhaust valves won't have as many deposits on them and your out of pocket expenses on spark plugs will decrease.

Try adding some seafoam to the gas the next time it starts to bog and see if it helps any.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts